The admin at Gmail or other webmail would have to have alot of free time on their hands. First they'd have to crack the password, then they'd have to know what "Legacy genealogy" means, (some people have never even heard of "genealogy") then they'd have to dream up what evil purpose they could use it for, then they'd have to have a genealogy database to open the Family file into, and then they'd have to wonder whose mother to look for assuming you even use your mother's maiden name for other private reasons. I don't personally keep SS #s of living people because no living people are sharing that information with me, or anybody if they've got a brain.

JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

John Carter wrote:
Since it's possible for the folks at gmail to read your mail if they
choose (always something an admin *can* do, but they're usually too busy -
been there, done that) and it's possible that any web service (gmail, etc)
can be hacked, you probably don't want personal data of living people
(mother's maiden name, dob, ssn) in easily read format.

My off-site backup is a CD at each daughter's house - about 800 miles apart.

John

On the topic of encrytion, i really think that is overkill and dont
see the point in doing such a thing.

Bobby.