DJ Lucas wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> > DJ Lucas wrote:
> >> Roll back to file-4.21.  The newer versions of file do not display the
> >> character set if type is text/troff
> >
> > Testcase please. IMHO they are right, as it is impossible to reliably
> > decide between, say, ISO-8859-1 and KOI8-R based only on manpage contents
> > (without using a dictionary containing the translation of, say, "NAME"
> > for all languages). I.e., the old version was likely to give wrong
> > answers anyway, that's why this feature was removed. Could you please
> > test both old and new "file" on manual pages installed by Man-1.6f?
>
> Shouldn't be necessary, but if you'd like to see the output, I can post
> it tomorrow.

Indeed, http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/not-utf8.txt contains the needed
info.

> The -e switch is still broken and since the older versions are not
> readily available... Have to look and see if I can find 22,23, or 24
> with working -e, and without the broken guessing.  The changelog does
> not mention releases.

Don't even try. It simply (or, if you want, "logically" or "mathematically")
can't be unbroken without adding a dictionary, so don't wait for the fix.
That's why I always mention the consistency requirement (i.e., that the
encoding of all manual pages in a given directory should be the same) and the
resulting need to convert or move manual pages according to the chosen
convention (that is different in all distros, but has to exist in LFS, too).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov