Lefteris Dimitroulakis wrote:

> With all due respect to lfs-dev's, to you and to the holly book,
> it will be very bizarre if lfsbook uses the Man package
> and at the same time is claiming
> that the included in the package man-pages
> are NOT readable for whatever reason.

Let's clarify the situation a bit. There are three possible outcomes for "man
foo" in the ru_RU.UTF-8 locale:

1) Glibberish (unacceptable, but, unfortunately, what happens if the system is
misconfigured by an English-speaking editor who doesn't know how to test the
configuration)
2) "No such manual page" (well, OK if it indeed doesn't exist)
3) English manpage (acceptable, although not ideal)
4) Russian manpage.

Reaching (4) means non-default configuration of Man that has to be explained.
Explanation means understanding by editors. Are you sure that
English-speaking editors have motivation to understand all the details and can
immediately see their errors? Do you know that, in the past, some
English-speaking readers refused to follow the new book after "magic" (from
their viewpoint, i.e., "not understandable") changes in man setup happened
and "magic" patches were added to coreutils, grep and diffutils, and that we
lost some editors due to the same reason? Such "magic" patches undermine the
educational nature of the book. You see - there is a fundamental conflict
between "100% correct" and "educational", so a proposal is being made to
adopt a suboptimal, but easily understandable setup. (no offense meant to
English-speaking editors and readers in this paragraph)

So: do you mean "it will be very bizarre if lfsbook uses the Man package and
at the same time produces glibberish" (which I agree with) or "it will be
very bizarre if lfsbook uses the Man package and at the same time patches it
to never display translated manual pages, even though they are installed"?

> And yes, I use the default /etc/man.conf.
> and my personal files for configuration needed in order
> to read man-pages in the encoding of my preference,
> legacy or utf8.

Very interesting, however, on my system, no packages installed Greek manual
pages. Where you got them from, except the "man" package (that doesn't install
them if one passes "+lang none")?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov