> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 14:07:16 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [lfs-dev] Thoughts about LFS and systemd
>
> akhiezer wrote:
>
> > But those packages would auto- drop-out if a user is building/following the
> > non-sysd track of the book, right?
>
> Not necessarily.

I guess the devil's in the details of the 'not necessarily', but: you're
essentially parametrising lfs for sysd yes/no, but intend to simply omit
some items from that parametrisation; and moreover, items that are fairly
clear-cut as to their yes/no inclusion; while doing all of the other,
arguably more-akward parts.  ?

> There are several packages that people have suggested
> are not necessary in LFS.  I don't remember which, but LFS has never
> been aimed at a minimum Linux build.

Just to be clear: the query was, of course, re sysd; and not re minimal
build or any of a myriad of other variously-related matters.

> Adding a full systemd
> automatically adds udev so that's useful and things like attr, acl, etc
> are not really a problem.

I guess that if the packages are represented accurately on the 'dependencies'
page, then those folks interested can utilise that info for their purposes -
e.g. even if just as a cross-check, &/or to (auto-)build their own deps-chain
info, etc. Similarly re 'rationale' page.

> The only thing I really don't like is dbus,
> but that's not really a problem either if the user uses svsV and doesn't
> add the start script.  dbus is not needed on most servers that don't
> also need an X install.

((Yes, likewise here we pick'n'choose parts of lfs as appropriate. Further,
as noted before, we use b/lfs &c as part of several input streams -
on their respective own, separate branches - to the os's that we build
here. One of b/lfs's usefulnesses wrt that, is that it's one of those
streams that doesn't need overmuch 'untangling'.
))

rgds,

akh