Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I did a little more checking.  If eudev is dropped and the full systemd
> is substituted in a standard LFS environment, the following have name
> collisions:
>
>    1 /usr/share/man/man8/shutdown.8
>    2 /usr/share/man/man8/poweroff.8
>    3 /usr/share/man/man8/telinit.8
>    4 /usr/share/man/man8/halt.8
>    5 /usr/share/man/man8/runlevel.8
>    6 /usr/share/man/man8/reboot.8
>
>    7 /sbin/reboot
>    8 /sbin/halt
>    9 /sbin/runlevel
>   10 /sbin/telinit
>   11 /sbin/poweroff
>   12 /sbin/shutdown
>   13 /sbin/init
>
> I still need to check out boot scripts and other initialization, but
> combining these boot systems with small script to set the desired system
> seems doable.   I don't think it would be necessary to even ask the user
> to choose at build time.

Just a progress report.  I've had some success.  I can boot the same
system to either sysd or sysv.  I have a couple of short scripts to
switch.  For example:

$ cat set-sysd
#! /bin/bash
for p in init halt poweroff reboot runlevel shutdown telinit; do
   ln -sfvn  $p-sysd   /sbin/$p
   if [ $p == "init" ]; then continue; fi
   ln -svfn  $p-sysd.8 /usr/share/man/man8/${p}.8
done

ln -svfn init.d-sysd /etc/init.d

At that point a reboot will come up with the new initialization.  What I
have for the book right now is pretty rough and quite a way from being
ready to commit, but the proof of concept is basically done.

There is a lot of work to do in documenting the configuration and the
basic settings, especially on the systemd side.  For example, how are
messages to the console controlled.  In sysv it is done the the basic rc
script with 'dmesg $LOGLEVEL', but I don't know how to execute that
early in systemd.

   -- Bruce