On 2013-06-09, at 11:49 AM, Katrin Verclas <kat...@mobileactive.org> wrote:

> +1000 on Nadim's comment who is not always that civil either.

It's absolutely right that I also sometimes can get riled up or passionate.But
they key word there is "sometimes".  Some on this list are just almost *always*
like that like it's an acceptable form of behaviour. It's not — it's bullying
and oppression. It's stepping on people's throats. And it has to stop.

The amount of abuse I took as a new professional in information security a
year+ ago was so intense that I had to start seeing a shrink. Many of the
people behind that abuse are on this list. Some need to understand the limits
between productive discourse and debate and what, quite frankly, amounts to
nothing more than wagging your genitals at others.

I am neither white or from a privileged background. I actually immigrated to
Canada due to my family losing its livelihood thanks to Israeli bombings. And
yet even though I've been through a lot, even I still find the abuse and
disrespect propagated by some in this community to be hard to handle, even when
it's directed at others.

When I sent my first email complaining about this, I got many encouragements in
private from people who didn't speak out in public because they were afraid of
having "their throats jumped" upon. I wish they would join me in making their
concerns public. Why do I always have to be the one to say what's on everyone's
mind?

This list isn't about shaming stupidity. It's about educating stupidity. It's
not about teaching people the "guts" they need to be "up to the task of
liberating". No one here has the authority to teach strangers about what they
can and can't handle. Stop being so arrogant, egotistical, apathetic and
near-sighted. It's about damn time this list, and this community, started being
professional and respectful.

I'm sick and tired! Those who continue being abusive bullies should be called
out. I understand a lot of them still contribute a lot of valuable information
and debate (and I admire them for it,) but we need to separate the two facets.

NK