> Okay, I've made the change.  As it happens, I believe this very issue came
> up in the pgsql-hackers list in the past few days, but I did not have time
> to read the posts.

Interesting; I will have a look.

> One thing was not 100% clear to me from your message: is a nul byte "\000"
> or "\\000"?

The representation of the NULL byte in the output of pg_dump was the
string composed of the characters with ASCII values 0x5c, 0x5c, 0x30,
0x30, 0x30, which visually prints (without any escaping) as:

  \\000

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org