On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jay Maynard wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:23:53AM -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> > I've actually met one of those contraptions. A piece of, *****, well
> > never mind. But it did start the portable computer generation. Anybody
> > remember the Compaq Portable series?
>
> Remember? I've got one in a closet here.
>
> When Compaq first introduced the Plus (the Portable with a 10 MB hard disk
> in place of the second floppy), I got one from a friend of a friend at
> Compaq employee price: a smoking deal at only $3400.

In addition to my Original Osborne 1, I have a Toshiba T3100. At a mere
6.something kilos, it was the epitome of convenience. Came with bag
which in turn included a shoulder strap.

AT performance, 640K RAM, 10 Mbyte disk. "Your Computer" magazine's
Computer of the Year. (I know early, I was talking to the editor, and
the topic came up, and he said, "It's obvious, isn't it?"

The T3100 was first with hard drive.

--

Cheers
John.