From: Moderator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sux
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:26:25 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> DOESN'T SUPPORT HARWARE.
> WON'T INSTALL ON MODERN SYSTIMS.
> DOESN'T WORK WITH PRINTORS OR MADAMS.
> SKANNERS DONT WORK.
> CAMRAS DON'T WORK.
> HAS NO SOUND.
> DOESN'T RUN GAMES.
> HAS 100 DIFFERNT EDITERS BUT NO DECENT BROWSER.
> IS BUILT BY LUSERS FOR LUSERS.
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
>
> LINUKS SUKX.....

If you're trying to make people who hate Linux look dumb, you're doing a
good job.
But remember, people who use Linux on the desktop are dumb anyway.
It's a double-edged sword.
--
-Moderator

"Unfairly but truthfully, our party has been tagged as
being against things. Anti-immigrant, for example."
             -George W. Bush, New York Times, 7/2/2000

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:28:34 GMT

Sam Morris wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - do you mean typing Help in the Run window (which
> would open the Help folder if \Windows was before \Windows\System32 in your
> PATH variable) or Help into the DOS box? Typing in a directory name into the
> console shouldn't spawn an explorer window pointing at that directory at
> all.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>
> _o/
>  >\
Correct. DOS help is missing from this version. Remember "Windows 95 is
not DOS"? There is no DOS window on this early (not for retail sale)
version. You have only the RUN window.  That didn't last long and
probably never made it to retail. A later service pack put it back in.
Still no DOS help though. The "Help" tab you get in the corner of some
windows doesn't help much either.
Yeah, I know MS released about a thousand of custom versions for every
cheap computer mfg. willing to pay the price. This is just one of those.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:35:32 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I'm not knocking VC++ here, just stating a fact. We are useing VC++ and
> > the *.exe run slower than similar programs written in C.
>
> There are so many factors that can effect performance that this is a
> ridiculous statement.
>
> For instance, using the MFC CString command:
>
> CString s("Test");
> CString s2("Test2");
> s = s + s2;
>
> is about 10x slower than
>
> CString s += s2;
>
> Also, something as simple as using ++x versus x++ can be quite a bit faster
> too on user defined types, since the latter requires an extra temporary to
> be created, and depending on the cost of construction, can be quite
> expensive.
>
> C++ *CAN* be slower than C, but then C *CAN* be slower than C++.  That
> doesn't mean either of them are always so.
Every thing you say is true. But if I have optimized my C code and then
do a true OOP C++ program, the C++ program will run slower. Not just a
"C++ as better C" but true OOP code. Perhaps a lot slower, perhaps just
a little slower. But in writing Kernel code, a little slower is too
much. For other uses, a big gain in productivity by using C++ over C may
offset the size/time/memory problem, but not in the kernel.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:31:08 -0500

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8v0a8u$isu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > : news:8uvvmk$pdc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :>
> > :> : Limited function? Shortcuts are great!
> > :>
> > :> Their funcitionality is a subset of the functionality of symbolic
> > :> links in Unix.
> >
> > : OTOH, links only have a subset of the functionality of shortcuts.
> >
> > : What's say we call it even ?
> >
> > If the above is true, I will.  But I doubt it.  See below.
>
> Whether or not you consider the extra functions of shortcuts to be useful or
> valid is irrelevant.  They _do_ do things that links don't.
>

> > [snip]
> > : Shortcuts are somewhat limited because they operate at the shell level,
> but
> > : that does offer them certain advantages links do not have.
> >
> > : For example:
> > : Shortcuts can point to printers, computers, URLs etc.
> >
> > I fail to understand why this is even needed.  You refer to a computer
> > by its hostname.  Now, if this alias were at a low level, such that you
> > could, for example go to http://foo and http://bar and have them be
> > the same thing, then that would make sense, but shortcuts are only
> > at the interactive GUI level, where it doesn't matter what it's called.
> > The same is true for shortcuts to URLS or shortcuts to printers.  These
> > things are just strings.  A shortcut URL makes no sense since a URL is
> > something you *type* anyway.  Once you've got a clickable icon thingy
> > to refer to a URL, who cares what it's called?  You aren't typing it
> > in anymore at that point, you are just clicking on an icon, so who cares
> > what it's called?
>
> I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

And yet, you profess to have expertise in the field of computing...

wonders never cease.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:32:36 -0500

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jake Taense wrote:

> > > Wasn't that a virus that took advantage of a problem with OE, not IE?
> > >
> > > I could be wrong.
> >
> > it exploited the same design flaw in both programs.
>
> The design flaw is in Windows itself. It offers a nice API called

Precisely.

> ShellExecute. (actually they're two, ShellExecute and ShellExecuteEx,
> because due to the crappy design, after some time they discover that
> they've left out something, and provide a new, different API, which does
> roughly the same thing, but with something added)
> However ShellExecute will "execute" a file name. If the file is a
> document it will open it using the registered application. If the file
> is a program it will launch it.
> Well IE, like OE, is apparently using this API to access html pages, so
> that if a link instead of an html document is something like
> C:\windows\system\rundll.exe followed by some nasty action, it will run
> it without bothering. I had been told that you could reboot a windows
> box with just a link like that, I tried and it worked.
>

> > > But in my experience, Netscape is both slower and buggier than IE in any
> > > version over 4.0 on either side.
> > >

> Maybe it depends on the extra bugs added to the localized version. Being
> in Italy, I usually get localized windows only, and I'm forced to
> install localized applications to keep a minimum consistency on DLL's.
> However since version 4.x I was fed up with Netscape Netcenter which
> comes up when I want just read my mail, and similar things, so I
> attempted to switch to IE, but I always went back to crappy Netscape.
>
> > > Netscape also routinely crashes on my linux box.
>
> If you disable Java script, all sites with MS java, which is
> purposefully designed in order to crash Netscape, won't harm you
> anymore, and Netscape crashes will be strongly reduced.
> With stream audio I experience the same problem. Sites supporting also
> Windows Media Player do crash Real Player. Sites not supporting Media
> Player do not crash Real Player.
>

> > better a crash than an ILOVEYOU attack.
> >

> Well said.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:39:27 GMT

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> I'm not knocking VC++ here, just stating a fact. We are useing VC++ and
> the *.exe run slower than similar programs written in C.

Out of curiosity, are you utilizing MFC heavily or have you decided to wrap Win32
functions yourselves.  I've seen some massive performace increases by doing my
own wrapping. (Not to mention eliminating a LOT of memory leaks)

<<Snipping my initital drivel>>

--

Tom Wilson

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS stability
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:26:10 GMT

Naw, I just could care less what nothinling peole do with my posts. I
would rather that you did put me in your kill files rather than listen
to you try to prove you are someone by insulting me.

n article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:50:44 GMT, Stuart Fox wrote:
> >In article <8v13kn$ji9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >The only person that has ever made it to my kill file is Aaron
Kulkis,

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:36:17 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> Works fine for me on Win95 and 98. For Christ's sake, the HELP command has
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only on upgrades.  A fresh install from a Lose98 disk has no HELP command.

> been around since (AT LEAST) DOS 6! IF (and it's a biiiiig if) you *really*
> get a Bad Command or Filename error when you run Help then you must have
> done something to move or delete it.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>
> _o/
>  >\

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: I WANT WIN2k drivers!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:38:01 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Quantum Leaper wrote:
> > >
> > > "Marc Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Aztech
> > > went

> upon
> > > >
> > > If you want a good legacy driver support than use Win9x not Win2K.
> Also if
> > > you read my other message I give him a suggestion on a driver to TRY,
> which
> > > was a Sound Blaster 16 driver.  NT or 2K doesn't have the greatest
> driver
> > > support but it a hell of alot more stable than Win9x.

> doesn't
> buggy.
> > > >
> > > Who fault is that?  Microsofts or ATI (who writes the driver)?
> >
> > It really doesn't matter.
> >
> Your right, considering Window 2K does support Aztech sound cards,  I
> checked.
>
> > It just puts the lie to the claim that Microsoft has the drivers
> > for everything...and the other lie that Microsoft drivers are better
> > than drivers for competing OS's.
> >
> Considering Windows 2K does have driver for Aztech sound cards....

Top borrow a favorie line from Losedows advocates:  Who needs that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Norton Linux
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:40:09 -0500

"Bradley J. Milton" wrote:

> In article <8ut5tl$s7d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your summary. This sounds like Linux is using a totally
> different paradigm for disk operation than what I am familiar with using
> DOS systems. What I can forsee being a problem is how the executives may

Akin to Jet fighters using a totally different paradigm than what you
are familiar with using in an econobox grocery-getter hatchback.

> accept this, if they only know Windoze. Maybe more should be said about
> this now? I played with e2fsck but now I know that daily use is unneccessary.
> This could change the way business looks at disk operations. I have
> much more time for learning Linux this month because my wife won't be
> coming home for Thanksgiving so I will have free time until December
> and maybe beyond. I went to the bookstore last night to learn more and
> I was surprised to see that Peter Norton has his own guide to Linux!
> With a well respected industry name like that behind it, I can't see
> how Linux can do nothing but succeed. It has a bright future in store,
> that is becoming clearer to me every day.
>
> > What you want doesn't really have any place in unix machines as far as
> > checking fs integrity. Especially if you use a system like reiserfs.
> > Running e2fsck every so often is a waste of time. If the system was not
> > unmounted cleanly it will run if not it won't. I think once you use linux
> > longer or really any unix for that matter you will grow to dislike how
> > much fs maintenance windows really needs to continue working. That is also
> > why you don't really see fs defrag tools for unixes. Their fs while they
> > do fragment lightly don't seem to impact performance much if at all. Some
> > of the fs seem to even unfragment over time depending on the amount of
> > free space on the drive. I think you will learn to leave these utilities
> > behind you and just not worry about the os that much any more. Like
> > anything else it does have a learning curve but you only have to learn it
> > once and I have found it well worth the time it took to learn it.
> >
> > Once you understand how unixes work you will really appreciate them. The
> > job of the OS is to allow you to get your work done without it
> > interfering. After using it for a while and understanding its operation at
> > times it is almost like the OS is not really there because everything just
> > works always. You don't turn your computer off and don't worry about it
> > crashing because it doesn't. The only time you reboot it is to add new
> > hardware or upgrade a kernel and I hear they are working on fixing the
> > kernel issue and some hardware already can be hot swapped. It is a
> > different world and while it still needs it rough edges filed off the core
> > is good.
> >
> > I hope this helped to answer your questions. Kosh
> >
> --
> How to combine Business and Counter-culture?
> http://www.angelfire.com/rant/milton/
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux is great
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:42:54 -0500

>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 12:56:25 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I have never seen a USB printer. FYI it works on my HP just fine.
> >
> > Lexmark z42 is an excellent USB printer that does 2400 dpi and works
> > with PC as well as Mac. all for about $110.00.
> > Editors choice in several magazines, and quite frankly one of the best
> > printers I have ever seen for the money.
>
> The best thing about Lexmark is they have developed a Linux
> driver for their Z52 inkjet printer. It works brilliantly
> under Linux. A nice GUI to set paper size, paper quality,
> resolution, etc and it is also quite cheap. I can now get
> colour print quality with Linux as good as I used to get
> with Windows. Can HP, Epson, etc afford to ignore Linux
> after this?

Cool.

At least HP and Epson seem to make relevent specs available,
unlike Canon.

Canon won't even answer e-mail about linux drivers....which
means I will never buy another Canon printer again.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.