From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open source is getting worst with time.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:55:52 -0500

Stephen Cornell wrote:

> > > Ever been to the UK?  All plugs are 3-prong and contain a fuse.
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Not in my hotel rooms.
>
> Really?  Maybe some hotels cater to foreign travellers.  The only
> 2-pin socket you're likely to see in the UK is a shaver socket in the
> bathroom, which will only supply a small current (1 Amp, IIRC) and is
> usually marked `shaver only'.  Every other consumer electrical device
> you can buy in the UK comes with a 3-pin plug (though a few years ago
> you actually had to buy and fit your own plug), and every electrical
> socket you will see in a house is 3-pin.
>
> Actually, the razor anomaly has always puzzled me. I assume the reason
> is to comply with international practice, since razors are such a
> common item to travel with.  I've a suspicion that UK building
> regulations forbid normal 13 Amp electrical sockets in bathrooms;
> certainly, normal light switches are illegal because of the risk of
> shock with wet fingers (pull cords are used instead, unless the
> lightswitch is actually outside the bathroom).

That's why in the US, most local building codes REQUIRE the installation
of GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt) circuits for any electrical service
in a bathroom.

> > What I was talking about was that wherever I have been in Europe (including
> > the UK), every electrical device I saw used an un-polarized two-prong
> > plug, which, according to my understanding of electricity (as taught to
> > me at Purdue University), is a shock hazard.
>
> The twin round plug is ubiquitous elsewhere in Europe.  Once such a
> standard is established, it's very difficult to change it while
> preserving backwards coompatibility (having seen your sketch of the US
> plug, either one of the pins is larger than on the old plugs - in which
> case new devices will not fit into old sockets - or one pin is smaller -
> in which case old devices will not fit into new sockets).  On the

The European standard could be made backwards compatible by making
one pin longer than the other.

> other hand, there are other issues about plug design and electrical
> safety.  If an american plug is pulled part-way out of the socket, is
> there any live metal exposed?  This is not the case for modern

Possibly.  I remember once getting shocked like that as a kid, but
the "body" of the plug were much smaller than.  These days, you would
REALLY have to work to get your finger between the body of the plug
and the wall while the electrodes are still in contact with the
socket electrodes.

> European (including UK) plugs, whereas it is the case for the US plugs
> I've seen.
>
> --
> Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
> University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:57:10 -0500

"Marc L. Cohen" wrote:

> > > Some folks have really WEIRD ideas about editing text!  :-)
> >
> > IBM is apparently unaware that PUNCH CARDS were virtually phased out over 10 years
>ago...
> >

> And XEDIT was developed over 20 years ago....

The handwriting was already on the wall regarding punch cards by that time.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Something is / was 20-years BEHIND other OS vendors
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:58:21 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> > >
> > > "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:_Zb56.146544$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> POSIX

> by
> > > IEEE
> for a
> > >
> > > No, X is a protocol.  It provides a mechanism for a GUI, not a policy.

> > > The other components *are* the GUI.
> >
> > Ever get the feeling that Kyle is still in junior high school...
>
> No, but I got the feeling that you are.

> I've yet to see a message from you that doesn't contain this in the headers.

Yes, I stole that from someone else's headers and compiled it into
my version of Netscape so that my actual platform is unnamed.

Security through disinformation.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:58:48 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Well, you could have just said I was wrong...  Not jump to a personal insult
> like you routinely do.

I have little tolerance for fools.....so sue me.

> I did state that I THOUGHT that the X-Windowing standard for UNIX was part
> of the POSIX compliance standard set forth by the IEEE.
>
> Or would that make too much sense in the wonderful world of UNIX.
> Incorporating XWindowing service standards into the POSIX compliance
> status...
>
> Or have I completely lost you Mr. Kulkis?
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> > >
> > > "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:_Zb56.146544$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> POSIX

> by
> > > IEEE
> for a
> > >
> > > No, X is a protocol.  It provides a mechanism for a GUI, not a policy.

> > > The other components *are* the GUI.
> >
> > Ever get the feeling that Kyle is still in junior high school...
> >

> > >   Les Mikesell
> > >      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Almost 60% Surveyed Plan To Install Windows 2000
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:01:05 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Larry R wrote:
>
> > I don't know who they surveyed, but I don't believe them.  Excerpt from
> > Information Week email subscription:
> >
> > ** Almost 60% Surveyed Plan To Install Windows 2000
>
> They've been saying that since several years before it was released.  And
> now that it has been out for a year, it's still "going to".  Makes you
> wonder.
>
> Of course, it may actually happen, eventually.  MS doesn't like people
> running old stuff that has been paid for when they could be running new
> stuff that they have to pay for again instead.  You can bet MS will find a
> way to push people off NT onto 2K.
>
> But the real question, assuming the 60% is correct, is this: why only 60%?

Especially when the "fine print" indicates that the sample pool was
composed ONLY of managers "responsible for implementing [Lose]2K upgrades"

> Isn't this the vaunted Unix killer?
>
> 60% is a dismal failure for a monopoly's latest offering.

Especially when one considers that it's only 60% among the very
people who are responsible for purchasing it.

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with NT
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:08:17 -0600

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > Not even.  I spent 3 days trying to get a 6.2 based firewall to work.
> > Finally I ended wiping it and installing FreeBSD.  I later learned there
was
> > some kind of bug in 6.2 in regards to two network cards in the same
machine.

> That's BS, I'm running firewalls on Red Hat 6.2 machines in
> 3 or 4 shops - and there are no bugs, no problems - your
> "problem reports" are all very vague and suspicious sounding,
> and now I am beginning to understand  what Erik Funkenbusch
> is all about -

Incorrect.  If you have two identical network cards, then you have to do
some futzing around.  This FAQ describes the problem:

http://www.coastnet.com/~pramsey/linux/homenet.html

"So, you were really really smart, bought two identical network cards for
your Linux gateway, and now you cannot get them to work together? Do not
worry, getting them to coexist is just a matter of using the correct syntax
in /etc/conf.modules. For this example, the addresses and IRQ numbers are
made up, and I will assume that you have bought a matched pair of NE2000
clones (a common choice). Your /etc/conf.modules file should look like this:

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x330,0x360 irq=7,9 "

Since RH 6.2 didn't bother to setup the system so that two identical cards
could work together, you have to do this shit.  I found this about 2 months
after the fact, but by then it was too late.  The FreeBSD system had been up
and running for 2 months.

> Although I agree that FreeBSD is solid, I have a hard time
> making any sense of your continuing bizzare woes with Linux...

Clearly it's not just me, or a Howto wouldn't exist that covers it.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:05:07 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9356p2$rqr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > ipconfig
> >
> > Let me try again.  Where do I find this command and it's documentation,
> > unless you meant to imply that the correct way to find out about this
> > hidden functionality is to ask on usenet?  Where are the on-line
> > manual pages for this new stuff?
>
> Of course not, you open the help.
> Go to Index, type Command Line, and look there until you find command line
> utilities
> It tells you to go to command-line utilities
> There you've a section that is called "command-line utilities, TCP/IP
> services and utilities"
> Or you can use the search "command line ip" will result in
> "Windows 2000 Support Tools" as the first result, go there, go to MS-Dos
> Tools
> It's there.

But, of course you can't do this over the telnet link when you need
it so it might as well not be there.  Are you supposed to memorize it
while you are still at the console?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:04:26 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:29:30 GMT, "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I have a machine with 'ME on it that won't complete the boot process until
> > > I hit the eject button on the CD drive. No CD needed, just eject the tray
> > > and push it back. Maybe not exactly a "crash" but the next best thing....
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Sounds like you have real computing problems.
>
> I'm thinking of reinstalling 'ME to see what happens.

Well, when you get done reinstalling yourself,
you be sure to tell us what you saw :-)

> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:06:13 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Gates has a a great mind.  He is a marketing genius.  But a shit
> >                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You misspelled "Racketeering and Extorsion expert with a good PR department."
> >

> He may do that now, but at some point he didn't have a virtual monopoly

But he had an almost immediate monopoly on the business desktop.

At the time, TRS-80's were considered "toys" by senior management
because they didn't have three letters, written in blue* anywhere on them

[*] IBM

> in the desktop market, and he still sold a load of crap.
> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:07:09 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> I'm sorry, your sarcasm is lost on me.  To me, this sounds like a good idea.

Yeah, it's a good *IDEA*...as long as it stays as an IDEA.

Actual implementation is another thing altogether.

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935547$vsp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <QWb56.146542$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Listen, there IS a technology called "pattern detection" which works on
> Word
> > > macro viruses (to detect "suspect" patterns).
> > >
> > > Why can't pattern and behavior recognition be instituted into an
> intelligent
> > > recognition system to recognize the interdependencies, and MODIFY the
> > > previous configuration strings accordingly?
> > >
> > > I'm thinking an XML system meets heuristics detection from AV.
> >
> > Ok, sure. Now "using XML we can make a tool to configure everything
> > easily" becomes "let's write an AI system so that our universal
> > XML-based config tool doesn't destruct the system".
> >
> > All nice and userfriendly, that.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:08:17 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> I'm sorry, your sarcasm is lost on me.  To me, this sounds like a good idea.

You really are in junior high school, aren't you.

Anybody who would trust "artificial intelligence" to reconfigure their
system deserves whatever fucking disaster ensues.

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935547$vsp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <QWb56.146542$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Listen, there IS a technology called "pattern detection" which works on
> Word
> > > macro viruses (to detect "suspect" patterns).
> > >
> > > Why can't pattern and behavior recognition be instituted into an
> intelligent
> > > recognition system to recognize the interdependencies, and MODIFY the
> > > previous configuration strings accordingly?
> > >
> > > I'm thinking an XML system meets heuristics detection from AV.
> >
> > Ok, sure. Now "using XML we can make a tool to configure everything
> > easily" becomes "let's write an AI system so that our universal
> > XML-based config tool doesn't destruct the system".
> >
> > All nice and userfriendly, that.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com