Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:15:46 GMT

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

<snip>
>don't forget about all the fun viruses available.  That's another thing
>Windows users can brag about. They got more viruses than we do. It just
>makes you wanna cry b/c windows users get all the fun.

yeah. Where's the fun in writing viruses for Linux? There arn't enough
floppy disk users on that OS to let them spread well! Come to think of it,
there arn't enough users for it to be fun at all!

On the other hand, all those nice ascii config files, put in a nice,
standard directory tree, would be great fun to edit with a very simple
virus wouldn't they?

<grin>

(Don't comment about Linux security here - this is a joke - don't take it
to heart guys!)

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:02:27 +0200

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92sku2$qla$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <92j7hc$lj6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:92j3of$456$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > which will
> > > program.

> > > So is sendmail.cf for some value of readable, human and computer ;-).
> >
> > Which use different fomrat than what other config tools user.
>
> Parse error, if you pardon the topical pun.

Opps.

> > > There is one, it's called "pico". Just because a program can parse
> > > XML, it doesn't mean that it can figure out what the XML means.
> >
> > But it means that the file contain all the options, and that one
> > program can be used to config all the config files without the user
> > needing to know about the file's format.
>
> XML means nothing like that. A specific file format based on XML MIGHT
> mean that, in SOME cases, though. For some apps, XML just doesn't
> have enough power. For instance, XEmacs' config files are programs!

I've posted a XML file format that should be abel to do this.

> > > Take, for example, a very simple config file format: INI-like files.
> > > You know, tag/value pairs grouped on sections?
> >
> > Yeah, I know, and that is why it's bad.
> >
> > take apahce's configuration, frex:
> >
> > ServerType: standalone
> >
> > The other option is "inetd"
> >
> > No where it the config file there is even a *hint* about the other
option.

> > This mean that if I want to write a program that configure apache, I
> > will need to store the other option *inside* the program.
> > And this mean that if apache has a new version with another value to
> > ServerType, I'll have to update my program to include this.
> > And if I want to write a tool such as LinuxConf, I've to store
> > inside the program *all* the programs options, and when one program
> > config file is changed, I need to update the program.
>
> On the other hand, you are proposing that all config files contain all
> possible options. I am not sure that's feasible in all cases. And in
> the cases where it's feasible, it's not because of XML.

No, of course it's not because of XML.
You could do it with any format that you want.
XML is just convenient and accessible.

> > This mean that writing LinuxConf or similar tools will be *hard*.
Because
> > I've to store both old settings & new settings, and find out what
version
> > each program is running, and fit itwith its sets of options.
> >
> > OTOH, if all programs adhered to some sort of a common format, such as
> > this*:
> > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/lmc.xml
> >
> > Building such a tool would be very easy, and will mainly include finding
> > GPLed XML phraser and writing the UI.
> >
> > This way, the config file itself is the one who stores all the options.
If a
> > new version, with new options, comes out, the same tool, with absolutely
no
> > modifications, be able to handle it.
>
> And probably screw it to death. Really.

Not likely, not if both file & application are built correctly.
Why would it screw it?

> > > They are trivial to parse for men and computers (much simpler than
> > > XML!). They are used by many apps (all KDE apps, all GNOME apps).
> > >
> > > Now, write a program that can configure all KDE and all GNOME apps.
> >
> > No, because of the reasons mentioned above, the config files don't
> > contained the other options, so building such a tool would be quite
> > hard. Assuming that the programs follow a format as I purpose, or a
> > similar one, it would be far easier.
>
> Then it's totally orthogonal to XML. Therefore, please abstain to push
> your format by force of buzzword.

Sorry about it, your pruposal is a bit too long.
And I'm not pushing *my* file format.
I've spesifically said a number of times that I don't think that this format
should be used.
I think that this is a good example to show how it can be done.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:06:40 +0200

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > Let me get it striaght, you've a NT box(s) that BSOD occationly, and you
> > remember those 3 AM BSOD especially because...?
>
> Getting up and driving to the office at 3 am does that -
> Gee, I'd have thought that'd be an easy concept....

That was punishment for ignorance.

> > Did you had to reset the machine manually?
>
> It isn't me, it's my poor nt admin co workers - I'm
> the lucky one, I admin Unix boxes, I get to sleep
> at night and have my weekends free.
>
> And AFAIK they had to reboot the blue screened
> windows pc server with the button...

Then I would say that both you and they are incompotent NT administrators.
It takes about half a minute to set NT to reboot automatically on BSOD.

> Surely you've heard the old saying that the number
> one remote nt administration tool is your car?

No, I've not.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:11:10 +0200

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

www.walmart.com

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:15:00 +0200

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92t48s$7o7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <92jics$r44$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:92jdq0$bji$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Neither do most "shrink wrapped products".
> > >  One of the classic examples
> > > of this was a client who wanted to
> > > collect survey samples via e-mail,
> > > cut-paste the replies (embedded in a
> > > Word Document) into an excel
> > > spreadsheet so that he could dump it
> > > into an Access database which
> > > could then be converted to SQL Server 7.
>
> > > Had he only needed to collect
> > > 5-10 surveys, he could probably have
> > > skipped a number of these steps.
> > >
> > > Instead, he collected and hand-built 20,000
> > > samples using these manual
> > > methods and very expensive consultants.
> > >
> > > Eventually, one of the consultants got fed up,
> > > wrote a perl script
> > > that used a Linux shell command to
> > > convert the word document to text,
> > > piped the input into a scanning program
> > > that parsed the desired fields,
> > > converted these to SQL Insert commands,
> > > and piped them to SQL Server
> > > using the CLI interface.  The responses
> > > were sent to a robot which
> > > automatically handled the responses.
> > >
> > > When another such survey was suggested, our friend with the handy
> dandy
> > > perl script offered to write an Apache/PERL form/script that would
> > > identify and authenticate the user, collect their information, and
> > > insert the completed record into the appropriate SQL tables.
> > >
> > > The initial "Microsoft Solution Survey" used well-known products
> > > such as office, but required nearly 30 minutes of interaction per
> > > form (total time for all steps).  That meant a total staffing cost
> > > of nearly 20,000/2 10,000 staff hours or 5 staff years (the survey
> > > would have been obsolete before the results were tallied).
> > >
> > > The Apache/Perl solution took about 3 days (15 hours) to build and
> > > took less time to complete than the original word document.
> >
> > That has nothing to do with the technologies that they used.
> > It had to do with the stupidty of the users.
>
> It had to do with users who were being told by Microsoft marketeers
> that GUIs are GOOD, and SCRIPTS are BAD.  They were doing things
> the "Microsoft Way".

Take any book about Office, you'll find that a good part of it is dedicated
to VBA.

> > It should take few hours to build a VBS file
> > that would extract the word
> > files from the emails, extract the
> > content of the files using Word, and send
> > them directly to the SQL Server.
>
> I'd be very interested in seeing the scripts to do that.  VBS
> is pretty good at basic fixed format grabbing, but not very good
> at "free form text" parsing.

Can you give an example, I fail to see how anything aside from a human can
do a turee free form text prasing.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:15:50 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 2 Jan 2001 04:15:06
> >"Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:92idqb$1qs5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> several
BSD.

> >> Then please point me to that post.  I have been asking for such data
for
> >> weeks.

> >> balancer
> >> think
> >>
> >> The firewall/load balancer, of course.  OS and uptime will typically
come
> >> from the front end machine (through network characteristics), the
> >webserver
> >> comes from the http header strings.  If the OS is coming from the
> >firewall,
> >> so is the uptime.
> >
> >Found another one.
> >www.walmart.com
>
> Another one WHAT, Ayende?

Check this one in netcraft.

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COM on UNIX
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:12:55 GMT

In article <92pfjd$jdl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Has anyone build a COM server on a unix/linux machine ,

Actually, Software AG started to do this, then Microsoft took it
back.  Microsoft does offer limited IDL and server support for
Solaris, AIX, and HP_UX.  Since Microsoft DOESN'T want to encourage
Workstation UNIX COM objects, their implementation is not available
for Linux or SGI.

> Is there any supported evironment for that purpose (such ATL fow
> windows).
> and what about portabilty to NT machine and vice versa ?

The simplest way to bridge is to use the COM/CORBA bridging tools.
Orbix and Inprise both offer direct IDL mapping.

The alternative is to write IDL wrappers for NT that can convert
the COM object stream to CORBA.

You might also want to check with ChiliSoft.  They did release
an OLE implementation for Linux which was included in the Mandrake
7.2 release.  I'm not sure how well it works.

> I know thats a lot to ask but even partly answer we be appricated .

Actually, the best long-term reccomendation would be to start with
CORBA.  Most of the vendors support CORBA or EJB objects that can
be bound as ActiveX controls if you need an interface to VB.

If you use the QT toolkit, you get a copy of ORBIT (a CORBA ORB
implemented primarily in C and C++).

If you use the GNOME toolkit, you get a copy of MICO (a CORBA
ORB which supports C, C++, and Java.)  And if you can be happy
with just Java, you can use the RMI/IIOP package to create java
code from IDL.

If you are considering a new project, you should definitely start with
CORBA and/or EJB.  This gives you the maximum flexibility to port to
both Windows (9x, ME, NT, 2K), and to UNIX (Linux, Solaris, HP_UX, AIX,
Irix, True64) and Mainframe (OS/390).

In the same vein, it's a good idea to start with MQSeries rather than
MSMQ for the same portability advantage.

--
Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:25:02 GMT

In article <eCh46.7741$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Yes...the idea was INVENTED on Unix....
> > YEARS before migrating to Microshaft-land.
> >
> > It's called CORBA
>
> Sorry, CORBA came after COM.

This is partially true.  The OMG formalized and approved the
CORBA distributed processing standard shortly after Microsoft
announced COM, which was first introduced with Windows 3.1
in Visual C++.  Microsoft's early versions gave almost no
documentation other than to suggest that something like X11 Widgets
existed.  COM was targeted at X11 Widgets and Toolkits and was
still intended for local (intra-workstation) implementation.

IBM introduced SOM to the OSF as the object oriented extension to
DCE.  Microsoft adopted a non-standard version of DCE (what else is
new) and obtained the specifications for SOM as a DCE vendor.  The
OMG was formed to resolve conflicts between OSF and UI and to create
a standard that would be common to both platforms.

CORBA 2 which was the commercially adopted version actually came out
about a year before DCOM.  Microsoft touted DCOM as the solution to
Distributed processing problems and suggested that DCOM would make it
possible fo scale NT 4.0 to thousands of users with 3-4 servers.

Sun had opted for RMI with Java.  RMI was similar to CORBA, but was
suffeciently different (unicode...) to make wrappers less than trivial.
With Java 1.2, Sun adopted CORBA/IIOP and IDL2Java to trivialize the
transition between Java and CORBA.  Enterprize Java Beans is actually
the implementation of the CORBA 2.2 specification (including
transaction services, naming services, and persistant objects) in Java.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:53:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jure Sah
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:59:31 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> Hmmm...I wonder if this flat fish also swims around in talk.abortion.
>
>Have the programs! Get the brains! Do a profile search at Deja news!

Heh...good point.

ObLinux: what OS is used at Deja? :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    up 93 days, 16:01, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:54:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:16:11 +0200
<92pu5s$l0j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Form@C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> <snip>

>> >Only an idiot would ask such a question.
>> >

>> And you really think that acronyms such as "GNU" and "YAST" were devised
>> without a sense of humour? There *is* humour in unix/Linux but it can be
>> strangely warped...
>
>curses.h, too.

Wasn't invented by Linux.  That was around (and cursed at) during
my time at college (1980).

>I'm assuming that the name givers thought that UI is the hardest part of
>most programs as well.

Well-done UI, yes.  Badly-done UI is easy :-).

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- just look at http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm
                    up 93 days, 16:02, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:05:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:31:55 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> > Why not make some cosmetic changes, and SELL the debugged product.
>> >
>> > What kind of case would Microsoft have
>> >
>> > "Oh loook, they stole our code and fixed all the damn bugs!
>> > They must be stopped!"
>> >

>> Is this why you have said "DOS vedanya" to Microsoft OSes? :-)
>>

>Actually, of all the OS's I've used, Microsoft is the "newbie"...
>
>So...my frustration with their low quality comes from over a DECADE
>of using reliable systems before having been introduced to Microcrap.

One could quibble here, admittedly.

Unix:      1969 - 1970.
           v6 < 1980
           v7 1982?
MIcrosoft: incorporated 1975?
           first DOS 1981?
           Windows 3.1 1985?
           Windows 95 1995
Linux:     0.01 1991
           1.0.9 1994
           1.2.13 1995
           2.0.0 1996
           2.0.38 1997
           2.2.0 1999
           2.3.99-pre9 2000 (development)

(the Linux timelines are kernels from ftp.kernel.org, and everything
looks more or less accurate, date-stamp wise).

So, technically, Linux is the newbie -- but the general organization of Unix,
a highly successful and still-used operating system, has been around
for 3 decades, and much of it was borrowed by Linux.

Nothing wrong with that, if done right. :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    up 93 days, 16:05, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:06:37 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92t60g$cks$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> >  The only thing I've seen are either an inability to display uptime or
> > wildly impossible to believe number such as 13 or so pollings on a
server
> > showing time since last reboot to be "zero". (sauder.com). Or the
assinine
> > assumption that Netcraft is the only entity on earth that seems to be
> aware
> > of all these popular sites going down every few days.
>
> www.walmart.com

I wasn't aware IIs 5.0 had been ported to Linux. Sounds fishy to me :-)

They appear to be using a shopping program called cart.gsp and most web
pages use the extension .gsp. Anyone have any info on what that is?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes  it
does) )
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:09:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gary Hallock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:26:19 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:51:11 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Flat head, is more like it.
>>
>> I'm not the one who has to pound one's head against the wall in
>> frustration begging manufacturers to support Linux.
>>

>No, but you are the one who uses an OS made by a company that has to
>pound its head against the wall begging manufacturers to support their
>OS on anything other than x86.

I was under the impression that this was no longer an issue?  :-)
Unless you're counting the IA64, but Alpha and PPC variants of
Windows have both bitten the dust, as I understand it.

(Pity, since both would have given Linux some interesting
competition.  As it stands, Linux runs nicely on SPARC hardware,
which must give Sun some pause, Alpha, PPC, ARM, Atari, Amiga,
and a host of others.  Presumably, this is detailed somewhere.)

>Gary

                    up 93 days, 16:14, running Linux.