From: John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Ethernet card for UNIX/Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:01:24 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:33:14 GMT, "Martin Eden"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi everybody.
>
>I need an ethernet card for my new system. I'll dual boot Linux and FreeBSD.
>Any advice on which one to get?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Realtek (RTL) 8029.  Great cheap cards.  I haven't had problems with the
8139 (not the 8129!) either.  I also like the 3Com 3C900s (Tornado's I
think).  I would avoid Linksys as they seem to give a lot of people fits.
But the Realtek 8029 is the only one I have used for _both_ GNU/Linux and
FreeBSD.  Free picked it up, and my dhcp server, without any problems.  It's
an ne2k-pci clone sold under several names.  I think mine was branded a
Focus Networks EtherLAN PCI adapter of something (it said it worked for
Novell, SCO UNIX etc. so I wasn't too woried :-).

jt

Alternative Computing Solutions...
Debian GNU/Linux   http://www.debian.org
FreeBSD           http://www.freebsd.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:20:13 -0500

Martin Eden wrote:

> "jtnews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I just saw a news piece on Windows XP!
> > Microsoft claims that it can run for days
> > without crashing!  Anyone have any real
> > world experience with Windows XP?
> > Is it really reliable?
>
> I kept Win2K up for over a month once. I played Half-Life on it and ran the
> seti at home screensaver whenever I wasn't around. The only reason I ended
> up re-booting was to install SP1.
>
> Windows is more stable than Linux for desktop use - if you have half a brain

How much did M$ pay you to write that load of horse shit?

> in your head and some decent hardware. The problem with WinXP resides in the

Two machines...IDENTICAL hardware

The LoseDOS machine makes it a couple of days.
The Linux machine stays up for MONTHS.

> fact that once you install it, you will end up granting Microsoft the
> de-facto title to your hardware. Thus, upgrading to Whistler is (IMO) too
> expensive at any price.
>

> > I already have 5 PC's at home all running
> > Linux.  I don't see why I need a new OS.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Aaron
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:22:21 -0500

Todd wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So check out www.tkpowers.com now... you will see that I have finally
> *PROVEN* you wrong...
>
> I am not Todd Needleham from MS or whoever...
>
> So, now that the facts are put out in front of you, will you be a man and
> admit you were wrong?

Thank you for dancing to my tune, Mr. Marionette.

> The fate of Linux advocates rests in your hands...
>
> -Todd

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:23:59 -0500

Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:03:37 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |
> |"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> |news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> |> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
> |> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> |>  wrote
> |> on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:09:05 GMT

> |> 200,000 / 100,000,000 =  0.002 = .2% = 20% of 1%
> |>
> |> Your math is a little off.  However, you are correct (if your figures
> |> are accurate); we "Penguinistas" are below significance level.
> |
> |Yeah, well it was all off the hip. We were all discussing relatively,
> |and then somebody had to start counting the grass leaves.
> |
> |Anyhow, regardless, it's less than one percent and therefore
> |insignificant (niche).
> |
> |> That said -- DOS was once below significance level.
> |
> |Not as relative to the market as a whole. DOS _WAS_ the market,
> |in essence.
> |
> |It would be more like CP/M in the DOS days, in terms of numbers,
> |at least.
>
> You do know that CP/M was around *before* DOS, don't you?
>
> As was Apple. And Commodore, Tandy, etc. There was life before DOS.
>
> Hell, MS even wrote software for them, usually BASIC interpreters.

All based on PDP-11 source code that BILL GATES STOLE.

The company has been a criminal operation since Day ONE.

> When it was introduced, DOS *was* the new, small player in the
> market. It grew rapidly as it was being pushed by IBM.
>
> Now, IBM is starting to push Linux...
>
> --
> Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
> -=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-
> xenaphobia: The fear of being beaten to a pulp by
>             a leather-clad, New Zealand woman.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it!
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:30:14 -0500

meow wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >

> > meow wrote:
> > >
> > > Your still an obnoxious cunt
> > > no denying it
> >
> > Leave your mother out of this.
> >

> You keep proving me right

Spot the circular logic.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:31:09 -0500

meow wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > > Leave your mother out of this.
> > >

> > You keep proving me right
>
> Also from what i see in this newsgroup others think it too

Only the shit-heads.

> Except they dont waste they time on you

That's because they fear me.

> I think deep down theres a good guy inside just waiting to get out
> It wasnt your fault you were abused as a child and have spent the rest
> of your life with a chip on your shoulder

I abhor liars like you....and express my contempt fully.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:33:30 -0500

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Tim Hanson wrote:
>
> > It looks to me like simple competition, which _always_ benefits the
> > consumer.
> >
> To me it looks like a dirty trick, and I think to a lot of europeans it

Merely ADVERTISING is a dirty trick now?

Better not go to a hockey game...the boards are COVERED with dirty tricks.

> does. Maybe thats a difference in culture, but a company which
> resorts to such measures will not get ANY money from me in the
> future. I will not buy anything at all from a company whose
> advertising sucks, even if it`s a good product.
> Play it fair, all is OK. Play it unfair and feel the consequences.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media
> We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:41:43 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > as a

> > > I could argue with that - but it's more fun pointing out that you're
> > > saying that "professionally written"  Windows NT wasn't able to grab
> > > that percentage of the market away from Unix, while "non-professional"
> > > linux was. :-)
> >
> > For those folks running commercial UNIces linux was a natural.  The
barriers
> > to entry were almost non-existant.  Remeber that most tech folks in UNIX
> > shops are constantly battling initiatives from the business side that
carry
> > a lower pricetag when done on NT.  The UNIX back shop has to constantly
> > defend their knowledge base and keep NT out or have their bloated IT
> > salaries look ridiculously out of proportion to the same talent on
Windows.

> "Bloated" Salaries for UNIX people?
>
> Sorry...but the Windows support assholes are only 10% as productive as
> the
> typical Unix person...by that measure, Windows support personell should
> have salaries in the $3,000-$10,000 / year range.
>
> Anything more is slary bloat for the non-productive MS platform.

Casting aspersions on and categorical dismission of Windows sysadmins (or
"assholes" as Kuklis, in who's limited diction and unlimited bigotry termed
them) is exactly the terrified job protectionist behavior I was talking
about.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:51:01 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Sloan wrote:
> >Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> >> But it has. It has grabbed a significant amount of server share from
> >> Unix. When NT 4.0 was released, NT made up less than 2% of the
> >> server market. It now makes up a majority, IIRC. If not, close to it.
> >
> >You're sadly mistaken - windows nt has gained market share
> >solely at the expense of other pc operating systems such as
> >netware, OS2 and windows for workgroups.
> >
> >> There was, is, and always will be a strong Unix contingent just
> >> because Unix admins are blockheads and refuse to use whatever's
> >> best, only Unix. However, Linux is a suitable alternative, so
> >> this is why Unix has made in-roads. It's not unix, but it's
> >> close enough and it's a lot cheaper than Solaris or HP-UX.
> >
> >It's not Unix by a lawyer's definition, but it's Unix by
> >a techie definition, to be sure. and it's the fastest
> >developing Unix in existence.
> >
> >jjs
> >

> With 250,000 developers working on Linux world wide, it
> has become humankinds largest software project ever.
>
> It certaintly has to be within the top 30 projects of
> all mankind.

I grow weary of having to ask over and over for a SOURCE for these fantastic
numbers you linux folks seem to pull from thin air.  It's a given that these
are not full time developers and I'd guess from the development model, that
anyone who ever issued a single line patch once in their life is regarded as
a "developer working on Linux".  Even the generous estimate of an average of
each developer working an hour a week takes that (bogus to start with IMO)
number and gets it close to the realm of rationality -- about 6000 FTEs.  Of
those maybe a tenth are actually working on the OS.  Still a pretty nice
number to have developing but since there's no proof of the 250K asserted to
start with it could be an order of mangnitude lower, perhaps more like 60
full time workers on the kernel.  That to me sounds very plausible given the
incredible delays of the 2.4 kernel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:53:47 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:11:20 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Red Hat web site has excellent documentation
>on this, as does the install guide that comes with RH.

Get out the Visine.

>If in doubt, consult one of the linux help groups -

Because chances are good nobody else can make it work either.

Typical Linux.

>jjs

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whistler, yet another Windows push.
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:54:49 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:37:21 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>
>> Semantics.  The point is, the software is not available on Linux.
>
>All these things are consequences of microsoft's long
>monopoly on the desktop - of course there is a lot of
>windows pc software that hasn't been ported to other
>platforms - but I'd rather not be part of the problem, so
>I look for alternatives, and I always ask vendors about a
>Linux version if I'm interested in their software.

Nice explanation but the bottom line is the software is not available
on Linux.

>Slowly, things are changing.

For the worse IMHO.

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:54:52 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > You're sadly mistaken - windows nt has gained market share
> > > solely at the expense of other pc operating systems such as
> > > netware, OS2 and windows for workgroups.
> >
> > I say you are wrong.  Post proof to disprove me or accept my assertion.

> > > It's not Unix by a lawyer's definition, but it's Unix by
> > > a techie definition, to be sure. and it's the fastest
> > > developing Unix in existence.
> >
> > "Fastest developing UNIX"? That's an oxymoron. :-)
>
> Only to pig-headed fools such as yourself.

Such weighty content Aaron ;-)  UNIX doesn't really "develop".  It's an old
picture from the 60s that was done developing long ago.  Now it's in
maintenance mode -- striving to keep up as new hardware and technologies
surface.  I've seen very little development in the core BSD tools since
Stallman's days.  Oh, I know, it's because they are PERFECT now ;-)  I get
it -- NOT!

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:56:06 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:01:36 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:mY6i6.71632$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:HcLh6.114728$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Microsoft implementations are done according professional rules as far
> > > as programmer salaries go, but not as far as good programming
practices
> > > go, therefore they do not deserve the "professional" appellation.
> >
> > You have no idea what the programming practices are at Microsoft any
> you've
> > never seen the code so you have not grounds to judge.
>
> That's the point.  We can tell the code is broken by the fact that the
> machines
> crash and the event logs fill with nonsense like:
>
>    "The World Wide Web Publishing Service terminated unexpectedly.
>      It has done this 454 time(s). The following corrective action will be
>      taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Sorry Les.  It doesn't ever say that.  The IIS error strings are documented
on MSDN. Go look em up.
BTW, I don't consider Apache to be part of Linux any more than IIS is a part
of Windows.  It's another product.  Where is your evidence and documentation
of Windows NT code and failure?

> Care to calculate how much of the time this box was off the air in the
half
> day it took to accumulate that many restarts?   If we could see the code
we
> could tell what was wrong - or maybe fix it.   This is a win2k, sp1 box
> doing a little bit of xml/xsl processing, by the way, using the stock MS
> dll for the job.   And, of course the design of WLBS makes connections
> keep coming to the box even though the service isn't accepting them.

And you didn't know IIS was having problems because?  There are the alerter
and messenger services that must be setup for all production monitoring.  If
you didn't do that then don't complain.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux is dieing
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:05:12 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Henry_Barta ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> :     I don't have a UPS on this. If the battery in the laptop were
> :     any good, I wouldn't need one ;) Neither would I call ComEd
> :     reliable, but they've been good for weeks now.
>
> Yeah, but wait for summer. Anyways, it could be worse. You could be in
> California with its Third World style problems from the lame laws.

Price controls ALWAYS lead to shortages.

Ask anybody looking for an apartment in New York.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.