On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

>   Hi, all. I've just been looking at the FS_SINGLE implementation, and
> have a few comments:
>
> - although not documented, you need to do kern_mount() before trying
        Yup.
>   normal mounts of a FS_SINGLE; perhaps kern_mount()/kern_umount()
>   should be called automatically in
>   register_filesystem()/unregister_filesystem()?

I don't think so. They are different operations and I'm not too happy
about mixing them together. Matter of taste, but...

> - I note that procfs and pipefs call unregister_filesystem() before
>   calling kern_umount(). This looks counter-intuitive, even if it's
>   correct (is it?)

It is. Look: first you take it out of reach so that nobody would mount us
while we are doing kern_umount(), then you kill the tree.

> - when mounting a FS which is FS_SINGLE, /proc/mounts reports the FS
>   type rather than "bind", which also seems wrong.

Why? Bind is _not_ a filesystem type. From the kernel point of view old
and new instances after binding are identical - there is no asymmetry.