From: rtp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Symbios UII ncr53c8xx.o
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:24:06 -0600

I've found the following boot image and instructions for the ncr53c8xx.o
controller at redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh5.2-errata-general.html. The
problem is I don't know how to create a bootable floopy with the
"boot.img" and "supp.img" files. I've tried the following "dd" commands:

*dd if=/home/rtp/bootdisk/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192
*dd=/home/rtp/bootdisk/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
These builds resulted in "failed boot" while initrd is loading.

Do I need this updated image (forgive me, I am very new to linux)? If
I do need the updated boot.img can someone give me instructions for
building the bootable floppy. Meanwhile, I'll be attempting to decipher
the man pages and any other clues I can find. Thanks Much!

ron parker

After entering the seemingly impenetrable vortex, I am all the more
commited to keeping Redmond, WA in my rearview mirror.

------------------------------

From: Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:23:44 +0000

Since you resolved your problems and are smarter than everyone in the group,it would
be nice if you
shared your wealth of knowledge of Linux with others.
Doug

------------------------------

From: "Craig Copelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: SCSI AHA-152x and redhat install
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 00:07:28 GMT

I have a 486 that I am attempting to install redhat 5.1 on.  My problem is
that the install program hangs on the SCSI initialization step of install.
I pass the kernel the parameters

aha152x=0x340,11,7

at the point it asks for them, then it just sits and spins the cdrom, which
was succesfully detected earlier.  Is there something more I should be
doing?

I find it interesting that the SCSI HDD LED comes on durng the
initialization of the CD ROM.

Any help is apreciated.

craig

------------------------------

From: Nicolas Dufort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDROM question
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:01:43 -0600

hi all,

i'm new to linux. i want to install it on my laptop, a Digital HiNote
VP703, and since i did not get the combo drives (CD+floppy), i'm
thinking about getting a PCMCIA cdRom drive.

could anybody suggest me a good drive that would work for sure under
linux?
please answer directly to this email.

thanks
nico

------------------------------

From: "Jakub Chmielewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kingston KNE-40T and linux
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:23:35 +0100

Hi!
Has any of you used Kingston-40T ethernet card under linux? Is it supported?
What about its efficiency in a server?

Thanks

Jakub Chmielewski

------------------------------

From: craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM Spindown == IRQ Timeout !?!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:41:47 -0500

I have e generic atapi cdrom 36x that is behaving in the same
manner--very peculiar.
It times out when I try and install a package from the x11 directory of
the debian hamm disk the top most directory. it just spins down and
spits out I/O errors to the console. I know its not the disk and the
cdrom works fine in w95. I'm wondering if the kernel driver is not
configured to handle the time that it takes these kind of drives to spin
up. Will dig into kernel code if I have to but wondering if anyone
having similar problems to brandon and I and may have found a solution?

I also upgraded my kernel to 2.2pre4 to see if that would change
anything but it did not--(by the way if you haven't looked at the 2.2
kernel you are missing something very cool)

"Brandon A." wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed RH5.2 on my P200 system, using the same CDROM I have
> been using for a while.  The drive is an ACER 24X MAX.  This drive works
> fine under 95/98 btw...
> (clip)
>
> hdc: irq timeout: status=0x50
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
> hdc: ATAPI reset complete
>
> I unmount it, eject it, re-insert it, remount it, its fine.
>
> So it seems that once the drive spins down, Im screwed :(
(clip)

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What do you think of this hardware Config?
Date: 07 Jan 1999 11:02:22 -0500

"C.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am in the process of buying some hardware for my killer Linux box. What do
> you think of these choices:

I'm confused, about 1/2 of the components seem to be low end/cheap.  Maybe we
have different ideas about what a 'killer' Linux box is.  I can certainly
understand wanting to get the best bang for the buck, and everybody has a
limited amount of money to spend....

> Motherboard:  IWill XA100 Plus

IWILL tends to be a second/third-tier motherboard company.  It presumably will
work, but is not a name brand.

> Processor:  AMD K6-2 350

Should work, though I've only run Intel Pentium{,-Pro,-II} personally.

> RAM:  PC100 64 MB DIMM

You might want to think about ECC PC100 64 MB dimms to correct stray 1 bit
errors.  It is somewhat more expensive.

> SCSI Card:  Adaptec 1542CP ISA

You won't get ANY kind of performance with ISA SCSI controllers.  For just a
little more money, get something like a TekRam 390F, which is PCI based, and
supports Ultra-wide devices.

> HardDrive:  Two Seagate Barracuda 2 GB (SCSI)

Might be better with a 4 GB drive.  Some of the Barracudas run real hot, so you
might need to look into drive coolers (which in turn means you need 2 open 5
1/4" bays, which in turn means a full tower case).  Note, many of the 2.1 gig
Barracudas are fairly old drives may not have that long of a warranty, may be
SCA drives, which requires getting a 80->50 pin converter, and have fairly slow
seek times compared to current disks.  Note, disks are the one thing that have
a high chance of breaking down due to being mechanical, rather than just
electrical, and also can have shortened life times if the heat gets too high.
For a 4.5 GB drive that runs cool and is relatively cheap, you might want to
look at the IBM Ultrastar models, which is ~ $220 (according to pricewatch).

Another thought is to go with the cheaper IDE disks that give you more storage.
The 2.2.0-xx linux kernel supports the IDE UDMA support (I think 2.0.36
supports it too), which closes the gap somewhat (scsi still is clearly the
winner at the high end of performance if you go to multiple disks and/or 10,000
rpm disks).

> CDROM: Toshiba 12X SCSI

You do tend to pay a penalty for SCSI.  You might want to think about an IDE
cdrom.  I find I hardly every use my CDROM drives under Linux.

> Video:  Matrox Millennium PCI (older PCI video, will get something better
> later on)

Assuming you can still find one.  Video cards tend to be one of these quickly
changing parts that don't stay around too long.  You might want to take a peek
at the current cards and compare prices (typically about $80-100).

> Keyboard/Mouse: Standard PS/2
> Ethernet:  SMC EtherEZ 8416 ISA

Again, you will get better performance with PCI cards.  You might want to look
at the Netgear FA310TX cards which are ~ $20-30 (note -- they used to have real
DEC tulip chips in them, but when DEC got sold, the pipeline dried up for the
real DEC chips -- they have a Lite-on chip now, and I think you need the latest
kernel, either 2.0.36 or 2.2.0-prex to support these chips).  My system runs
better now with a FA310TX (though real DEC tulip) than it did with the 3com 590
I was using.

Also you didn't mention sound -- if you go for an ISA sound card as well, that
means 3 ISA cards.  Make sure your motherboard has 3 ISA slots if you get this
and the SCSI controller as ISA cards!

> Modem:  External USR Sportster

The sportster is ok.  I prefer the USR/3com Courier myself, but that is pricier
(and doesn't appear in so-called super stores).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

------------------------------

From: Jim Howes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for DiskOnChip ???
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:51:51 +0000

Sergio Mart=EDnez Gonz=E1lez wrote:
> =

> Hello,
> =

> I'm trying to run Linux (a very reduced configuration) in a
> industrial pc-board (386-SX, 8 Mb RAM), without HardDisk, Floppy, etc.
> Something like an Embedded-Linux ...

What board are you using, I've got an ICP Nova-600 board, and it
works quite nicely.  Were using them for remote data acquisition
boxes.
> =

> The system needs to boot and work from a Flash Memory (see
> DiskOnChip2000
> from M-Systems) of 4/8/16... Mb. This device is 'fully' compatible with=

> HardDisk, well... is compatible from DOS, Windows 95, etc.

> Someone knows if exists a driver for Linux ?

You need to contact m-systems for a driver;  The driver is a binary
only in-kernel driver, plus a modified LILO.  No source is available.
Whether this is a violation of GPL is left to the original authors
to decide.

Once you have built a kernel with that driver, you need to do a few
things from DOS to prepare the flash in the first place, and then
you just treat it like a fixed disk, partitions and all.

Be aware that flash devices tend to have low lifetimes in terms of
write-cycles before they break down.

> is this project impossible ?

Nope, we're progressing quite nicely thankyou.

> am I a fool ?
> =

> If no exists a driver. Please, someone can point me in the correct way
> for
> develop a driver for this ?
>    Books, Documentation, sites, .....

The specification for the M-Systems DOC is a closely guarded secret.
They might make the specifications available to you for a fee, plus a
non-disclosure agreement.

If anyone is interested, I have a small directory full of stuff which
sets up and installs /dev/fla1 such that it boots a kernel and runs a
minimal set of stuff (enough for a bash script and our software).  I
just don't have anywhere to put this on the web.

Jim

------------------------------

From: "Kim,JaeHwan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MO Drives
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 03:19:13 +0900

    It's not bad idea to buy fujitsu. fujitsu MOs may not be the best, but
have accetable price and perfomance, i think(my drive is also fujitsu,
but old model). or you can choose mitsubishi.
    and i've read it's possible to make mo work on linux. but you have to
download patch and new fdisk and compile kernel and fdisk.
 don't forget about option '-b 2048' when you fdisk and format MOs.
 if you don't want to do it, you can wait for new kernel supporting it.

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell Servers
Date: 06 Jan 1999 23:16:43 +0000

Alex Parfenov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I would like to get any feedback from people who have used Dell's
> servers (especially dual pentium configurations) under Linux. I am in
> the process of deciding if i should stick to Dell's configured and well
> warranted hardware or should i build my own.

I installed a 1-cpu PowerEdge 4200.  No PERC; Software RAID.  Worked well.

> Alternatively if you know of reliable vendor of Linux-compatible servers
> and parts, please let me know. Any comments and suggestion appreciated,

VA Research
Linux Hardware Solutions.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PERC RAID Controller - compatible?
Date: 06 Jan 1999 23:15:40 +0000

Alex Parfenov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am planing to use Dell's PowerEdge servers for Linux based server and
> I am
> wondering if PERC RAID controllers are supported by Linux (that's what
> Dell use).
> Also if any1 can tell me where i can find online literature about raid
> technology, i would be grateful,

Dell supply a driver.  Ask them about it.

From: "StephanBS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Umax Astra 1200S scanner
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:20:42 +0100

Hi,

I would like to use me Umax 1200S scanner with Suse Linux 6.0.
As I don't have a brand SCSI card yet, I need to use the SCSI card that came
with the scanner... What can I do to get Linux find my scanner?

Thanks,

Stephan

------------------------------

From: ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom writers
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 02:09:01 +0000

I hoped somebody might be able to tell me if any cdrom writers

are supported by SuSE and or manufacturers. All enquiries at resellers seem

point to be Windows only compatible AND only after software is loaded.

Does fstab mount a cdrom writer as a iso cdrom r-w etc. Does modprobe find as an

IDE device. Am I talking out of my bum?

I do want to buy one (got a lot of old vinyl lp's that I'd like to annoy my

neighbours with but don't dare let my kids near a turntable) but don't want

to be stuck with Bill G calling the tunes.

Help / comments / any reply appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

------------------------------

From: "Tim Gajewski, KU4IY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Vibra16
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:29:08 -0500

Thanks to everybody that replied, I have tried for a while now and still
do not have it working.  I have reconfigured the kernel and read a
couple of books (on this subject).  It looks like most people are now
running RH 5.2, looks like an upgrade.

Tim

------------------------------

From: Daniel Drewes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.linux
Subject: Re: N64/Dreamcast port
Date: 7 Jan 1999 20:06:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: It was the Mon, 04 Jan 1999 13:46:31 GMT...
: ..and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Happy New Year!
:> Does any N64 or Dreamcast port exist? Is someone working on it?

: There is a Playstation port AFAIK.

Err... there was an april fool's joke in a german magazine (i'X)
that some people took too serious.

-daniel

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO and Promise Ultra33
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:38:04 -0800

I know that this works, because it replaces ide2 and ide3 for ide0 and ide1.
This is good if you don't have anything on ide0 and ide1, but some of us
like me do have a cd rom there, and a scanner.  That would mean that I would
have to get rid of my cd rom, and my scanner.  I want to use hde - hdh,
something that linux can't use right now.  That is where I'm having the
trouble.  I can do it using the UDMA how to, but things get messed up when
redoing the MAKEDEV.ide.

------------------------------

From: "Numinus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem setting up modem...
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:17:31 -0800

How do I set up linux so I can go on the internet...  Ive tried using netcfg
but whenever I try to connect with it it says my kernel lacks support for
PPP..  How do I compile my kernel so it supports PPP...

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Golds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and HP CD-R/W Drives ?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:05:45 -0800

j wrote:

> I plan to install RedHat 5.2 on a computer which only
> has an HP 7200i rewritable CD in it. Does the 5.2 package
> recognize this drive at all ... at least enough to use
> it as a regular CD if not as a rewritable ? HP also
> makes a faster version (the 8100?) - would the same
> drivers work for it ? Any info/experiences appreciated.
>
> -jim

I have the 8100i and it works fine in Linux.  I am still
working on getting it to work as a CD-R drive, but as
CDROM it works great.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey A. Golds                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Support Engineer      Phone: (650) 933-2386

------------------------------

From: "Jay Bramble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling The Kernal problems
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:02:19 -0500

Ok Guru's....

I say that because YOU ALL have to know more than me......

I am running RH5.2.
I compile the kernel fine and make the modules ok but when I reboot I have
module find errors.

Here is what I do:

make mrproper
make xconfig (under xwindows)
    I have a SCSI card.  And since I cant figure out how to make a initrd
image
    (loopback device wont work) I make ALL SCSI stuff non-modular.

make dep
make clean
make zImage  or make boot
make modules
make modules_install

No errors or warnings.
then I run linuxconf and set lilo up for the new kernel.  I make it user
selectable.

Now when I reboot, select the new kernel and I get errors on some modules
    cant locate module st
    cant locate module net-pf-5.  I get this one in a couple of
places....dont know what it is...