From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to contact host
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:12:02 GMT

In article <92vlv5$n9b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Shjiva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello, I am a Linux newbie myself and I have a problem. I use SuSe Linux
> 6.3 and I've installed it without any great problem. When I got a
> connection and I open Netscape it gives me an error that he can't find
> the server, but the connection is there. I have a USR 56K external modem
> on COM2. Please helpme......

Have you configured your dns nameservers? If not, add them to
/etc/resolv.conf in this format:

nameserver 24.10.24.15
nameserver 24.10.24.17

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.1 does not see the hard disks
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:13:46 GMT

In article <92vehm$3tv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Trying to install RedHat 6.1 on my new HP LC2000 system but the
> installation does not see the hard disks. The error message given is:
> "An error has occurred-no valid devices were found on which to create
> new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this
> problem."
>
> Have a feeling that the divers for these disks do not exist in which
> case I am doomed.
>
> The BIOS sees them, but not the installation. If it helps the disks are:
> HP 18.2GB 7200 Ultra3 Wide SCSI-3 HS HDD       (3 pieces) HP 9.1GB 7200
> Ultra3 Wide SCSI-3 LVD HDD       (1 piece)

Which SCSI controller? Redhat 6.1 has some problems with newer Adaptec
controllers. Try Redhat 6.2.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: CD Burner
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:14:18 GMT

> In alt.os.linux.mandrake Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Still on the subject, any opinions on having the CD burner positioned
> > vertically?  My PC tower lays down on its side.  Could this cause any problem
> > with burning CDs?  anyone got experience with this?  My CD burner is a TEAC
> > CD-W54E.

> Most cd-rom drives and burners have little clips on the tray just for that
> purpose.  You fold them in towards the center to hold the cd in place.
> This is only so that it doesn't slip off the tray while loading; when data
> is actually being read (or written), the cd is clamped in place and your
> drive should work at pretty much any angle.

This TEAC drive surprised me as it got no clips.  It holds the disk
vertically without clips, which is much easier to use.  There is some kind of
a narrow crack in which the disc falls.  But what I was wondering about is
that, since the burning of a CD seems to be a more precise task than reading
it, maybe the vertical position could cause problems.  Thanks for your
comment.

Alain

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Subject: Re: HELP!: Abit KT-7 RAID & Mandrake 7.2 problems!!!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:18:54 GMT

> I'm having difficulty with my new Abit KT-7 RAID machine and Linux
> I had it working fine, but then I decided to throw a bunch of new
> hardware on it.
>
> Now, the machine completely freezes up and I must reset it or power
> cycle it.
> I suspect that the problem may lie with the HPT ATA-100 RAID

Sorry for the length of this posting.
You can see in the output below that the kernel (2.2.17-21mdk) is
recognizing the HPT-370 controller.
The filesystems (ReiserFS) seem to mount ok, but I can't seem to do lots
of write I/O on the disks (it locks up).

Here's dmesg output from the problematic setup:
music:~ % dmesg
Linux version 2.2.17-21mdk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)) #1 Thu Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST 2000
Detected 900068 kHz processor.
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
ide_setup: ide1=autotune
ide_setup: ide0=autotune
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 1795.69 BogoMIPS
Memory: 774948k/786368k available (1136k kernel code, 416k reserved,
8240k data, 128k init, 0k bigmem)
Dentry hash table entries: 131072 (order 8, 1024k)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 524288 (order 9, 2048k)
Page cache hash table entries: 262144 (order 8, 1024k)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K  L1 D Cache: 64K
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor stepping 02
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb430, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 524288 bhash 65536)
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf0009000, size 32768k
vesafb: mode is 1280x1024x16, linelength=2560, pages=0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:0a15
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.13)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
VP_IDE: chipset revision 16
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
Split FIFO Configuration:  8 Primary buffers, threshold = 1/2
                           8 Second. buffers, threshold = 1/2
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb408-0xb40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
HPT370: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT370: chipset revision 3
HPT370: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xc800-0xc807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:DMA
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xc808-0xc80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: IBM-DJNA-371350, ATA DISK drive
hdc: YAMAHA CRW2100E, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: Maxtor 53073H6, ATA DISK drive
hdf: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xb800-0xb807,0xbc02 on irq 5
hda: IBM-DJNA-371350, 12949MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=1650/255/63
hde: Maxtor 53073H6, 29311MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=59554/16/63, UDMA(100)
hdf: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, 29333MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=59598/16/63,
UDMA(66)
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: MMX detected, trying high-speed MMX checksum routines
   pII_mmx   :  2089.785 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  2622.804 MB/sec
   8regs     :  1210.056 MB/sec
   32regs    :  1069.086 MB/sec
using fastest function: p5_mmx (2622.804 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
 hde: hde1
 hdf: hdf1
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 1500 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 2/4/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 NO, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
(scsi1) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 2/5/0
(scsi1) Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi1) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi1) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 2 hosts.
(scsi1:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
  Vendor: PIONEER   Model: DVD-ROM DVD-303   Rev: 1.09
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Invalid session number or type of track
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 03:07) ...
Warning, log recovery starting on readonly filesystem
Replayed 1 transactions in 5 seconds
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS core development sponsored by SuSE Labs (suse.com). Journaling
sponsored by MP3.com
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
change_root: old root has d_count=1
Trying to unmount old root ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
Adding Swap: 256968k swap-space (priority -1)
scsi2 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 3 hosts.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW2100E          Rev: 1.0D
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 21:01) ...
Replayed 1 transactions in 2 seconds
Using tea hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 21:41) ...
Using tea hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.20.2.10 $ 2000/05/31 Modified by Andrey V.
Savochkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and others
eth0: Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro100 82557, 00:A0:C9:22:D9:35, I/O at
0xb000, IRQ 5.
  Board assembly 352509-003, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip DP83840 PHY #1.
  DP83840 specific setup, setting register 23 to 8462.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x49caa8d6).
  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 13:21:03 Oct  5 2000
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa000, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa400, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
parport_probe: failed
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: DAT in RH7
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:30:09 GMT

Mike wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a DAT unit in my server which it is recognized in the boot as:
>
>I think that the dev file for this is st0, is this correct?

If possible, you might want to use nst0 instead to avoid sometimes
confusing spontaneous rewinds.

>so, how I make for install this and configure?

It is installed and configured and can be accessed at the char device
(/dev/nst0) with anything that reads/writes a stream. In UNIX style
systems (devicewise, I mean) that means just about anything.
tar, afio/cpio and dump are the classics and will do fine for copying
data around. Gzip and bzip2 for compression etc.
See man mt and the datcomp option for the hardware comp switch.

Most the time mt and tar are your friends.

Since another thread mentioned arkeia and taper (expensive and
non-scaling last time I saw them) I'll mention Amanda.
http://www.amanda.org

I'm using HP DATs here with Amanda and they all work just great.

------------------------------

From: Chris Rankin <au.com.zipworld@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: CPU upgrade for old Intel P90 (Zappa motherboard)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:58:28 +0000

Hi,
I am looking for a CPU upgrade for an old Pentium 90. The chip is Socket
5, and the motherboard manual documents that it could theoretically
accept a P120. (It actually describes the CPU as an "Intel P54C Pentium
operating at 3.3 volts VCC".) However, considering the struggle I had
finding a P200MMX over two years ago, I am sceptical about ever finding
a P120.

Fortunately, Intel are no longer the only game in town. Does anyone know
of any compatible AMD, Cyrix or other CPU manufacturers' chips which
might realistically be considered upgrades from a P90?

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

From: "Seamus Boyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:17:15 +1100

i would use SuSe or RedHat for the first system and Slackware for the second
maybe zipslack with a minimal X setup or you could use a mini distro such as
muLinux with the X11 add-on

news:92tvnp$7k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVB Satellite PCI Cards
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:24:45 +0000

Hi,

Which DVB PCI card is supported by Linux ?

Regards

Matt

        Kiss Nordic SATDEM card (Driver Version 1.09)
        Kiss Nordic SATDEM card (Driver Version 1.10)
        Pentamedia Pent@NET card (Driver Version 2.5)
        Harmonic Data CyberStream SAT1 card (Driver Version 5.3)
        Broadlogic card (Driver Version 16.29)
        Technotrend TT-DVBsat PCI card (Driver Version 1.22)
        Technisat SkyStar1 card (Driver Version 1.22)
        Hauppauge card (Driver Version 1.22)
        SkyStar2 card (Driver Version 2.0.0)
        Siemens set-top box
        Telemann Skymedia-200 card
        SCM USB box

------------------------------

From: "Seamus Boyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PenCam,  Mp3 Player and AM/FM/TV Tuner/Capture card
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:31:02 +1100

Hi,
=====
Iv got a aiptek PenCam Trio web cam/digital camera and DV has any one got
this working under linux?

if not anyone got any ideas it's connected trough a usb port and shows up as
a twain scanner under win.
=====
and, would anyone have VOXSON MP3-1 (in Australia and marketed as something
else over sea's, it user HANGO MP3Loader in win) working??
=====
and,, could anyone recommend a tv tuner/capture are compatible for linux
available ins Australia?

thnx in advance

------------------------------

From: Colin Laplace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA big problem :(
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:32:04 +0100

Hello !

I have a recent Unika laptop with Linux mandrake 7 installed.
When the pcmcia service starts on kernel boot, it freezes my computer
and the only thing i can do then is to press the halt button of my
computer. i'm using latest version of pcmcia-cs (got same results with
older version). any hints on this ?

thank you,
Colin

------------------------------

From: "Xochipilli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSe Linux 7.0 hang off at: "Setting up the cmos clock"
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:19:26 +0100

Yesterday I installed Suse Linux 7.0 at mine Computer (Asus A7V, 2 Video
Cards *(Asus v7100(Geforce2MX...i can't get it run) and a S3 for the
graphical desktop of kde.)
Yesterday the system runs best! But at night (about 5am) suddenly the PC got
Power and started Linux, but only up to setting up cmos clock, then nothing
works (no Ctrl+alt+del). When i use the reset Button, and restart it again,
it's the same...yesterday, before it started from alone, it works best!

*The asus video card is for windows and the S3 is for Linux, the asus is in
windows disabled, but Linux didn't said something about the secound video
card...

How can i start Linux now????

------------------------------

From: Alain Gaspard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: install slakaware on dell 2400
Date: 4 Jan 2001 13:32:35 GMT

I seek has to install a slakware on a dell poweredge 2400 with
 a card raid perc 2/Si I have to use the d7 boot megaraid.s and
 my hard disks are not to go up.
 is there someone made this installation ?

--
 Alain Gaspard
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: SIS 6326: SetVCLK Finished, beep
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:51:12 GMT

I have a machine running Red Hat 7, XFree86 3.3.6 with onboard SIS 6326
video. Every 10-30 min or so, it beeps twice and the message "SetVCLK
Finished" appears on the console. Does anyone know what might be going
on, and how I can stop this behavior? Thanks.

Chris

------------------------------

Subject: Second Keyboard for a VC
From: Mario Lang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:55:53 GMT

Hello.

I am partly using Emacspeak to surf the web.
Emacspeak does speech output from emacs. My question is:

Does anyone have an idea how to attach a second keyboard
to a linux box, and dedict this keyboard to ONE console,
e.g. tty4, so that I can switch consoles and work normally with my
original keyboard, and use the second one to give input to
the one console which runs emacspeak?

Thanks for any help
--
CYa,
   Mario <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* Jes wonders why so many people in here uses fooZZZZZ and foo_sleeping nicks
<peter> Jes: Because they are sleeping?
        -- Seen on #Linux