From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hardware recommendation for Samba server...
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:04:19 GMT

> In article <7g4f50$ett$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Daniel Tremitiere  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I'd like to apologize in advance for the basic nature of these
questions...but
> >then, if I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking.
> >
> >I'm setting up a network for a small, and certainly not rich, elementary
> >school; although they need Windows to run educational software on the client
> >machines, I plan on using Linux and Samba for the server end of things.  The
> >server will be used to provide home directories for students and faculty, and
> >to maintain Windows profiles.  It will occasionally be used to standardize
the
> >software distributions on the client machines, but speed isn't important in
> >this (it'll likely be done at night.)  I don't anticipate running programs
off
> >the network.
> >
> >My question is this: what are the minimum hardware requirements for
acceptable
> >performance in a system like this?  The network will be 10base-T at first,
> >but will be upgraded to 100Mbps as soon as it's feasible.  I have my ideas as
> >to what might be an appropriate configuration, but I'd really appreciate any
> >input on the subject.
>
> 10 Mbps will probably be plenty.  Doesn't sound like you'll be hitting the
> network very hard.  I run programs over NFS every day on a 10 Mbps network,
> and I don't even notice the lag.  I have 100 Mbps at home, and the only
> place I really see a difference is when ftping big files.  (Even then, the
> 100 Mbps LAN is only 2-3 times as fast as the 10 Mbps LAN, not 10 times.)
>
> You said the school is small, so I'm guessing your network has less than a
> dozen machines on it.  And you won't be using the server for really
> intensive tasks.  This is cake.  A 486 would probably do CPU-wise, but you
> want solid PCI for the NICs and a BIOS new enough to handle big drives
> seamlessly, which means at least a Pentium-class box.
>
> I think a Pentium 133 with 32 MB, a $20 10/100 PCI card (Netgear FA310TX
> or equivalent), and a big fast IDE drive would do nicely.  Anything you'll
> find still for sale new will of course be much faster than that; sub-$1000
> machines now feature 400 MHz Celerons or K6-2's and 64 MB.  A big hard
> drive pays for itself because you don't have to waste as much time policing
> your users' disk usage.  By all means get a backup device and a UPS.
> (Neither needs to be very expensive; a Quantum Bigfoot in a machine on the
> other side of the building is an easy 99% backup solution, and the smallest
> Linux-supported UPS you can find will do.)
>
> --
> David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

Daniel,
A confirmation of David's assertion.
This is what I have running at a Middle/High School.
Slackware 3.3 Kernel 2.0.34, with KDE 1.1 on a P133 with 32 Meg.
2 Nics (3-com pci).  One on a private 192.168.x.x network, the other on a
cross-over cable to a 56K router.
Samba:
4 network printers with about 50 - 250 print jobs per day.
35 NT 4.0 Workstation PC's.
10 Macs connect via DAVE from thursby.com.
The samba has an admin share for a FoxPro 2.6 administration database of about
75 Meg for 5+ users during the day.

Apache server combined with MySQL 3.21.19 and PHP 3.6.:
10000 Hits this month.

Sendmail:
About 175 accounts total; a little over 500 messages sent/received this month.

Firewall:
About 10 Meg/day, with logging enabled (will grow the messages file 10 - 15
Meg/day, as well.

IP masquerading entries
prot expire      initseq delta prevd source               destination
ports
tcp  14:26.08          0     0     0 ws5.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
205.188.1.242        2256 (62767) -> 5190
udp  01:38.35          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
ns.theirnameserver.net   1131 (62252) -> domain
tcp  01:40.12          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
207.211.106.40       1150 (62271) -> www
tcp  14:54.64          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
res1-pic.GEOCITIES.com 1154 (62275) -> www
tcp  01:50.73          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
207.211.106.40       1152 (62273) -> www
tcp  14:57.80          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
atlantic.cse.MSU.edu 1157 (62278) -> www
tcp  14:55.09          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
res1.GEOCITIES.com   1155 (62276) -> www
udp  04:52.26          0     0     0 ws7.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
ns.theirnameserver.net   1156 (62277) -> domain
tcp  14:49.50          0     0     0 mac1.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
EXCITE.com           1327 (64664) -> www
tcp  01:27.40          0     0     0 ws11.myschool.spfs.k12.mi.us
192.168.0.30         1187 (62161) -> netbios-ssn

Current usage (I just combed through 150 Meg of messages logs 5 minutes ago,
to gather some of this stuff, too);

  1:02pm  up 11 days,  3:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.21, 0.19

It will do the job, but, you'll probably be just as well off if you buy a
celeron, with the same config.  Will more than do the job.
Regards,

Van

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (+Pablo+)
Subject: Another naive Beowulf question
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:11:27 GMT

I have not looked at Beowulf in any detail yet, but:

Can computers enter and leave the cluster while processing is
occurring? I have some logic fault testing software that runs for days
at a time.I would like to dual boot some machines in the office, so
that when people leave for the day, they could reboot their machine
and "enter" the cluster, then "leave" the cluster (reboot to win98)
the next morning. This way I could make use of several additional 450
MHz Pentium machines during the off 14-16 hours of the day for
weekdays, plus 24 hours a day on weekends (or on a person's vacation
or sick days). The thought of reducing run times in this manner is
very attractive.

Thanks,
+Pablo+

------------------------------

From: Roger Ehrlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Promise EIDE 2300+ card work w/ Linux?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:07:53 -0400

Hi

I've worked with Linux before, but am new to its installation.

I'm wanting to install RedHat Linux v4.1 on a i486DX2-66 system. The
motherboard BIOS does not support EIDE only IDE (1 channel).

I have a Promise EIDE 2300+ Vesa LB controller card with onboard BIOS
that I'd like to use with my 1.6GB hard drive.

I could not find info on this card in the Linux Hardware Compatibility
HOWTO file.

Anyone experienced in using this card?

Will RedHat Linux work with this card in using its EIDE BIOS to
supercede the IDE BIOS on the motherboard? Do I need a particular
driver?

How about installing Linux using this card with its EIDE BIOS active
right from the start?

Thanks for all/any help.

Roger.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay W. Summet)
Subject: Re: AWE 64 pnp card installation question
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:53:38 GMT

I'm using Linux Mandrake 5.3 (basically RedHat 5.2 + KDE 1.1) and here
is what I did to get my SB AWE64 PnP to work:

Re-Compiled the kernal adding SB support, then in low level sound
drivers added the AWE support.

After the reboot, typed "sndconfig" which detected my soundcard, set
it's IRQ & DMA etc... and it worked from there....

Jay Summet

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for  AGP ATI Xpert98
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:38:25 GMT

Michel Marcon wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just a hint. Before buying it, could someone tell me if there is a
> coorect driver for the video card AGP ATI Xpert98@ works in XFree
> whatever version (3.3.3 is the latest, isn't it ?)
>
> Thank you for the hint.
> --------------------------
> Michel Marcon sysadmin WNT & UNIX
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --------------------------
> Ministere Equipement
> CETU Centre d'Etude des Tunnels
> Tel: (33) 04-7214-3408
> Fax: (33) 04-7214-3430
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --------------------------
If you have any problems configuring XFree, and you have a ps/2 mouse
make sure you disable gpm and config the mouse in XFree only.

Greg Keto

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Lexmark Optra E310
Date: 30 Apr 1999 14:13:29 -0400

Peter Santoro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I haven't seen any reviews on this new Lexmark printer yet.  Is anyone
> using this printer successfully with Linux or FreeBSD?  Looking at the
> specs (PCL 6 and Postscript 2) it should work; however, I'd prefer to
> hear from some happy Lexmark customers before spending my money.

The only think I can add to the "it works fine" reports is that
whoever put this printer in the database suggested getting some extra
RAM ove rthe basic 2M.  The printer holds up to 66M, apparently, and
takes regular 72pin SIMMs.

If anyone with such a printer has one on their parallel port and runs
Linux 2.2, could you please report me the contents of your
/proc/parport/0/autoprobe file?

For that matter, anyone with any printer at all under 2.2 should fill
in autoprobe info at http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: Andrew Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendations fo hot swap SCSI
Date: 30 Apr 1999 18:13:31 GMT

Check out dpt.com  these are the sickest scsi RAID stuff out man AND the
new series has geniune Linux drivers!!! And they work well on Win98 too!

You have described "RAID 1" or "Mirroring"

Read the tech sheets - great detail - teach everything about SCSI and RAID
there is to know!

ebohn wrote:

> I currently run a duel boot Linux/Win98 machine.  I would like to upgrade
> SCSI and am looking for hardware to support a single hot swappable drive.
Can
> someone tell me if this is possible?
>
> I want to have it so that I can do a complete HD backup from one
harddrive to
> another.  I would be doing this from Linux on a nightly basis.
Therefore, I

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Andrew Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drive limit under Linux
Date: 30 Apr 1999 18:13:32 GMT

Check out dpt.com and have a read thru the tech library
These guys can supply a dual channel RAID controller with professional
Linux drivers one PCI slot for all HDD occassions!
Hardware raid will make the I/O go about 20 times faster!
The RAID stack will appear as one logical device if you set it up that way!
Hope that helps!

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Andy Nikolenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Acorp 5Ali61, DMA trouble..
Date: 30 Apr 1999 18:13:32 GMT

I have a trouble in switching to the DMA mode...
When I run <hdparm -d1 /dev/hda> there is a 5 seconds pause, then hdparm
say <Error 0x58... DMA disable..>
I have kernel 2.2.7 with UDMA patch for Ali15xx...
Who can say something about this?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem problems : new newsgroup required.
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:31:01 GMT

I think we need a different newsgroup just to address the
issue of installing modems on Linux. There have been
"39 MESSAGES" in the past 2 days just addressing modems...
so do we have a problem here??

I gotta admit... I'm having lotsa problems installing my
modem too... rather making 5.2 recognise my internal modem...
i do know that the internal modem is on Comm3 with IRQ 11 .
Runs without problems when I boot Win98 ... so Im assuming
there are no IRQ issues. Its not a winmodem either.

Apologise for showing my frustrations like this.. but then
where else do I turn or help??

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh.

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Video kaart
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:05:19 -0500

l. hamar wrote:
> Ik heb een Diamond Speedstar A50 videokaart.
> Met Linux Red Hat 5.2 krijg ik na startx, een blauw scherm en lijkt de PC
> volledig vast te zitten.
> Enkel een druk op de Reset toets van de computer brengt uitkomst.
> Wie kan mij helpen?

Near as I can tell, he runs `startx` and gets a blue screen and the machine
does nothing more, only the reset button revives it.

--
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
|   Cliff Sharp   |  Take the Boulder Pledge!                                 |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ellis)
Subject: Re: I want to write a driver (need a drivers how to)
Date: 30 Apr 1999 23:07:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dexter Plameras  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi Im looking for a how to write drivers
>if anyone has any information please send me an email

But this book:

Linux Device Drivers</b> by Alessandro Rubini, Andy Oram (Editor)</a>
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922921/ricksphotograpag

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: HP 1100A
Date: 30 Apr 1999 23:34:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>    We just bought a Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1100A with scanner/copier
>capabilities. I somehow doubt I'll get the scanner to work since the
>software can't be installed under Linux, but how do I actually get the
>printer to work? Is there some protocol that I must use? I know during
>installation under Windoze 98 there was some brief message about
>backwards compatability with another LaserJet model, which might
>possibly be Linux capable. If it helps, I'm running SuSE 6.0 and haven't
>yet upgrade the kernel.
>
>    I'd be most appreciative of any assistance anyone could offer.

It's pretty much like any other printer that offers PCL (I think it's
5e for the 1100).  You'll want to make sure your kernel has parallel
port support, and that the lpr (or perhaps lprng) packages are installed.
You will want to use magicfilter or apsfilter to handle the various
formats of files; and of course ghostscript.  I dimly recall their
being some additional software to control resolution, etc., as in
the WinXX environments.

I'm not familiar with SuSE, so I can't be more specific.  Surely this
must be in their documentation.  You should become familiar with the
HOWTOs, which were probably installed into /usr/doc/HOWTO.

Have fun!

        -frank

From: "C & L Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:53:08 -0400

Here's a few things that may help. First if your fans are behind sheet metal
with holes, that creates more noise. When I upgraded to a better front fan,
I had a mini jet engine sound. It also impedes the airflow. I just used
snips and cut out one large hole. I still get noise from the rear fan but
it's not bad.

Here's what else I did. About a month ago, I stopped hearing that power
supply fan in the rear. I took it apart and found the temp control
transistor was toast. I looked up the transistor and found it had a .9W
dissipation. My fan (original) is stamped 1.6W. Hmm? I connected it directly
to 12V but that lasted just a few days before my wife began to protest. It's
right next to the TV. What I did was rig a circuit that did the same thing
but used a series-pass transistor for the current. In fact, it now handles
both fans. The thermistor is next to a heatsink in the power supply but is
cooled (or heated) by incoming air also. I added a trimmer to the circuit
and adjusted by trial-and-error. I also added a fail-safe diode to always
keep 6.3V on the fans in the event of failure. In the morning, it reads 85
deg with the fans at 6.3V. When using it, it rises to about 88 deg with a
fan voltage of about 9.5V. It hits 12V at 92 deg and will go to 15.6V if the
temp is high enough.  The reason this is possible is the negative comes from
the -5V supply. This is the way the original was too. Now it's pretty quiet
when It's not being used.

CJ

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Zero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100/1100A performance
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:53:29 -0400

I've posted this info before, but Kingston memory is much cheaper than
HP proprietary memory and works just as well.  I have the 1100A with the
following 16Mb module, which I purchased for about $45 at buy.com.
Search for Kingston Part #KTH-LJ4000E/16.

------------------------------

From: "David Peavey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: /dev/hda1 has reached maximal mount count, check forced
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:59:13 -0700

/dev/hda1 has reached maximal mount count, check forced

I get this message sometimes when I boot up.  Can someone tell me what this
means (besides the obvious)?  How do fix it?  We are doing some system
integration work here and this message occurs occasionally.
Thanks
Dave