Linux-Hardware Digest #127, Volume #11           Sun, 29 Aug 99 10:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Hp Scanjet 5p & his scsi card (Julio Sameiro)
  Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England (Daniel Norton)
  Re: Matrox G400 Linux Drivers? (Brian Chappell)
  Serial PPP with odds speeds on Linux ? possible ? (Nagendra)
  **Please Help me i'm a beginner i have problems whith modem and sound card!**
("Drope")
  satellite connection ("HENRIK WIBERG")
  Linux Tux badges, giftware and 1" case badges ("Chris Engel")
  hda: timeout waiting for DMA (Navindra Umanee)
  Re: hda: timeout waiting for DMA (Bob Purdon)
  Re: Riva TNT (Dan Warren)
  How to force X to use a specific server (Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen)
  Re: Riva TNT (Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen)
  old vga + xf86config (bube)
  Re: webexcel ("Wayne Morgan")
  Re: Can't Do This Anymore. ("Paladin")
  Lots of hardware problems can anyone help (ppp, sblive, wintv) ("John-Paul Stanford")
  Re: Linux on an old Mac SE (or LC II) (Nils Remmers)
  Re: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ? ("Jack Bakes")
  LPT scanner ("Tim Alexeevsky")
  Re: LS120 - LILO ("PLD")
  Re: **Please Help me i'm a beginner i have problems whith modem and  (Henrik
Carlqvist)

From: Julio Sameiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hp Scanjet 5p & his scsi card
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:15:50 +0100

Hi,

at
http://linux-sym53c416-driver.netpedia.net/toppics/installinstructions.html
i read:
"
The easiest solution is to use a kernel with sym53c416 support built-in.
That's the case if you
use at least a 2.2.3 kernel. If you want to add sym53c416 support to
older kernels, you have
two options:
"
but i'm using RH6 with the 2.2.5 kernel... and saw no reference to the
sym53c416... only saw a conflit between my SB32pnp & the sym53c416 card
(as i said on another post i have sound only if i remove the scsi card
from
mobo)

users of the HP 5p: the "at least" kernel 2.2.3 had been enough for you?
tx,
Julio

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Norton)
Subject: Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:46:28 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:31:07 GMT, colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Cheers for any advice......:)

Complain to your MP.  Prices in the US for a 512Kbps SDSL line are no more
than about US$500/mo.  The installation including modem are no more than about
$400/once.  And prices here are dropping fast.

--
Daniel Norton

------------------------------

From: Brian Chappell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox G400 Linux Drivers?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:22:31 +0000

You mean in X-Windows? Just get the 3.3.4 release of XFree86, support is in
that version.

Brian

------------------------------

From: Nagendra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Serial PPP with odds speeds on Linux ? possible ?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:30:59 GMT

I need to use pppd with a odd speed of 64000 on a RS-232 serial interface,
but unfortunatly all that pppd gives is

pppd[546]: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
pppd[546]: speed 64000 not supported

but the man pages for pppd mentions that on Systems like 4.4BSD and NetBSD
any speed can be specfied.......so IS LINUX ONE OF THEM ?

or is anyspeed on Linux is not supported with serial/ppp ?

if possible how can it be achnived ?

TIA
Nagendra

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Drope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: **Please Help me i'm a beginner i have problems whith modem and sound card!**
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:20:59 +0200

Hello i'm trying linuxversion mandrake 6.0, i have a internal modem card
logicode 56w-p and totally compatible whith us robotics
I have also a creative labs sound card 64 PCI

Tha,ks for your answers
Pedro

From: "HENRIK WIBERG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: satellite connection
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:56:49 +0200

Hello!

In windows I am using a satellite connection to internet. For this a have a
special hardware, a PCI card which is a satellite reciever. The software
routine for this card is called 'IBM DVB Receiver Adapter'.

Is it possible to connect to internet in Linux using this hardware ? Has
anyone heard about someone who succeded with this ?

Best Regards

/Henrik

------------------------------

From: "Chris Engel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Tux badges, giftware and 1" case badges
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:00:00 +0100

=======_NextPart_000_0087_01BEF216.058D4820

Custom and Linux 1" case badges made and supplied.
Get your logo onto your machines!
Also labels, stickers, decals and a range of Linux goodies
www.scotgold.com

=======_NextPart_000_0087_01BEF216.058D4820

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Custom and Linux 1" case badges made and supplied.</DIV>
<DIV>Get your logo onto your machines!</DIV>
<DIV>Also labels, stickers, decals and a range of Linux goodies</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.scotgold.com">www.scotgold.com</A></DIV></DIV></DIV></=
BODY></HTML>

From: Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:02:55 GMT

kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
kernel: hda: DMA disabled
kernel: ide0: reset: success

Youch.  What's the meaning/cause of these errors?  I've used the same
harddrive on two pentium motherboards and never had this problem.  Now
I'm using a 440BX motherboard with a celeron and I can easily cause
the above error by running disk+sound intensive applications (eg,
Quake).

I have a second harddrive (hdc) and I'm not seeing these problems
there at all.

Please help.

Thanks,
Navin.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Purdon)
Subject: Re: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Date: 29 Aug 1999 21:10:39 +1000

> kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> kernel: hda: DMA disabled
> kernel: ide0: reset: success
>
> Youch.  What's the meaning/cause of these errors?  I've used the same
> harddrive on two pentium motherboards and never had this problem.  Now
> I'm using a 440BX motherboard with a celeron and I can easily cause
> the above error by running disk+sound intensive applications (eg,
> Quake).

Interestingly, I'm seeing the same errors also on (from memory) an Intel
440BX board with a Celeron CPU.  HDD is a WD AC11200L and shares the
primary bus with a Zip drive.  Secondary bus has another WD drive and
a CD-ROM.  Problem occurs even when the WD is the sole occupant of
the primary bus.

I've not had the time to do much more debugging on it.  Happens primarily
when I back the machine up to tape (DAT on an Adaptec 2940).

Kernel is 2.2.9 for the moment...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:08:15 -0400
From: Dan Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT

http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html

------------------------------

From: Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to force X to use a specific server
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:15:13 +0200

I have finally recieved my Creativ TNT2 Ultra, but it looks as if the
driver doen't recognize the chip:

(--) SVGA: PCI: NVidia Unknown chipset (0x0029) rev 17, Memory @
0xcc000000, 0xce000000
(--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
(--) SVGA: videoram: 64k
(--) SVGA: clocks:  25.18
(**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
(--) SVGA: Using builtin driver modes
(--) SVGA: Builtin Mode: 320x200
(--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 320x204
(--) SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024

If someone (using a TNT2 ) could please do a:
startx &> filename
send me the file outputted by this command it would be of great help.

Any other suggestions on how to force the X-server to use a specific
driver would of course also be apreciated.

--
Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen
   Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen

------------------------------

From: Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:09:09 +0200

Drivers are at www.nvidia.com

If your are already configured to use the XF86_SVGA server it is as easy as
running a script called riva_install which comes with the drivers, else just
run xf86config and choose the XF86_SVGA server.

--
Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen
   Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen

------------------------------

From: bube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: old vga + xf86config
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:22:14 +0200

Hi !
need help for finding right clockfrequencies for an OLD VGA
640x480 and LINUX. It is not defective.It is working right
with other OS´s (WIN+ OS/2).
But on linux I only can adjust 640x400 or larger modes.
is there a better program for LINUX like MATROX provides for
their graphic cards available for LINUX to finetune ?
XVtune doesnot do its job.

mfg B.B.

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: webexcel
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:46:43 +1000

Nicholas Routledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7q7djc$o84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I was wondering if anyone had any success configuring a webexcel 56k
> internal modem for RH6?
> if anyone could shed some light i would be much obliged.
>
> regards,
> nick routledge

Yes, I use a WebExcel 56K V90 modem both with Redhat 5.2 and 6. No problems.
Just use linuxconf to tell Linux which com port the modem is attached to and
the modemtool to configure port speed and any initialisation strings you
require.

Wayne

------------------------------

From: "Paladin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.apps.cdwrite
Subject: Re: Can't Do This Anymore.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:37:25 GMT

Moritz,

I have an ACER CDRW, my second, and they both work great in Linux.
I did (and you will too) have to re-compile my kernel to enable IDE-SCSI
emulation.
Then, I had to access my CDROM and CDRW drives through, "/dev/sdc " and
"/scdd"
repectively, as though they where SCSI. Others have said that they still use
the IDE
devices after compiling IDE-SCSI emulation so, YMMV.

I also have a CalComp DrawingSlate tablet. Under Linux I must set it (the
tablet)
to emulate a mouse, which kind-of defeats the purpose.

Joysticks are supported with the newer kernels (2.2.0 and up for sure) but,
few games
make use of it since it is only newly implemented. For Quake I & II and
other
games that do not use a joystick in Linux (hopefully QIII will) you gan use
program that maps the joystick axis to keystrokes. Not as good but it works.
Our Linux User Group (LUG) just had a presentation on this you can read it
at:
http://www.tir.com/~sorceror/presos.html

Lastly, Linux doesn't know, or need to know about my cable modem.
The cable modem is connected to an ethernet card in my Linux box and
that's all that Linux cares about (or needs to care about).

I setup a dual boot on my computer, let the cable guy setup the Win98 side
with the cable modem and then when he left I recorded the settings in Win98
(IP address, DNS, etc.) then booted to Linux set it up and then got rid of
Win98.

Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 02:41:51 GMT, SASKATOON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> Read http://www.linuxdoc.org before you ask any further questions...
>

> >1.Is there some sort of file manager or is everything command line
operated?
> In console mode there is "mc", an improved excellent norton commader
clone.
> For X I would recommend KFM and kruiser, both for KDE.
> http://www.kde.org
>
> >2.When I install, I'll be wiping the Microsnot garbage off first, so I'll
be
> >cut off from outside help during this procedure. How is it done exactly,
is
> >it as easy to install as windows?
> Yes, easier. Just read the manual and have your hardware specs handy. Make
> sure you have a boot disk.
>
> >3.The big one!!! Drivers! I have some strange hardware, but I like it,
Cyrix

------------------------------

From: "John-Paul Stanford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lots of hardware problems can anyone help (ppp, sblive, wintv)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:40:47 +0100

Hi,

I've been having a lot of problems setting up the hardware of my linux
system to work properly. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me as
I've been having no luck for about the last 6 months.

Here's the spec of my system :

        Micronics Helios Dual Pentium 2 Motherboard.
        1x400Mhz Pentium 2
        128 Meg SDRAM
        SBLive
        Voodoo 3
        Hauppage Win TV Card

        SUSE 6.0

Here's the problems :

1)

First off I can only get PPP working with kernel 2.3.5. When I try it with
any other kernel (both devel and stable) the data just trickles through at
an unusable speed. I find it helps if I turn the speed of the modem down.
This makes it almost usable. I'm using kppp to connect to the internet. ppp
works ok with 2.3.5 except that recently the pppd keeps dying after about 10
mins of use.

I don't think the modem is at fault as this is the second modem I've had. I
now have a ELSA MicroLink 56K Internet modem. Before I had a USR Robotics X2
Flash Modem. Both of these modems will only work with the 2.3.5 Kernel I
have setup. I've never had a problem with these modems on my laptop using
any kernel or in windows. Could it be the way I've configure 2.3.5 kernel or
is there something different in it's ppp code ?

2)

I have a sound Blaster live that I know a lot of people have working, but in
my system I can only get the CD-ROM and Mixer working. When I try to play
midi or wave sounds I get a loud humming noise and the proper sounds are not
there. Does any one know what is causing this. I'm using the creative labs
linux sblive drivers (at the moment the 'emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz' ). I've tried
all the different versions of the drivers, but not one of them has worked
properly for me. I've used the drivers with the kernels that are suggest in
the install files.

When I first tried to install the sblive module I could not insmod it
because it said the device was in use. I fixed this my telling my BIOS that
I did not have a PnP operating system. Now I can insmod the module but I
can't use anything but the Mixer and CD-Rom.

3)

I Have a Happuage WinTV Card that I can't get working. I'm using the latest
bttv drivers and xawtv. I've followed the instructions in the
Readme.HAUPPAGE file. The modules will install but I can't seem to get any
picture at all when I try to tune the card in. The radio will not work
either. I can't tune it in.

I'm begining to suspect that my problems are caused by my motherboard. It
seems strange that I have to turn all PnP options off in the BIOS to get the
system working. I've also had to turn the Auto detect options for the
parallel and serial ports in order to get them recognised by linux.

Thanks for any help people can offer. These things are really getting on my
nerves now. If I've not given enough info or I'm just missing the plot and
doing something stupid let me :)

From
            John-Paul

------------------------------

From: Nils Remmers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on an old Mac SE (or LC II)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:52:50 +0200

Jeremy Fincher wrote:

> Will it work?  If it will, how will I get it to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

It does. I'm stalling it right now from debian
http://www.debian.org
I still have some Probs but I#m sure to manage it.

Nils
--
Frage  : Können Sie wir mal 'nen IRQ zusätzlich einlöten ?
Antwort: Nein, tut mir leid. Das habe ich mir gerade abgewöhnt !

------------------------------

From: "Jack Bakes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:17:30 +0100

stephen chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Can you run 24bit on a Voodoo 3

Yeah, I think it's just with the depth-buffer + when rendering in 3d that
you're restricted to 16-bit.

------------------------------

From: "Tim Alexeevsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LPT scanner
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:09:30 +0400

Is there any chance of configuring LPT scanner under Linux?
I've looked at SANE homepage and as I understand it doesn't
support LPT scanners (I looked for UMAX Astra1220p).

------------------------------

From: "PLD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS120 - LILO
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:29:57 -0400

Maybe my quick-and-dirty config. can inspire you?  Fragments of my
"lilo.conf" file read as:

boot=/dev/hdd
disk=/dev/hdd
   bios=0x00
[ . . . snip some . . . ]
root=/dev/hdd1
[ . . . snip some more . . . ]

Best of luck!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: **Please Help me i'm a beginner i have problems whith modem and
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:54:46 +0200

Drope wrote:
> Hello i'm trying linuxversion mandrake 6.0, i have a internal modem
> card logicode 56w-p and totally compatible whith us robotics

Before you try to make it work, make sure that you really have a modem
and not one of those DA-converters connecting the CPU to the phoneline.
Those CPU-hoging devices are also known as winmodems and the "w" in the
name of your device makes me guess that you might be unfortunate enough
to have one.

> I have also a creative labs sound card 64 PCI

You could use the built in drivers in the 2.2 kernel or even better, go
to http://www.alsa-project.org/ and follow the instructions in the mini
howto which you will find among the documentation.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]