From: Daniil Kolpakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative AudioPCI 128 - no MIDI
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:47:42 GMT

lobotomy wrote:

> The AudioPCI/SB64/SB128 do not have a real hardware MIDI synth.  Under
> windows, the drivers use a software synth with patch set in system

Yes it does, however MIDI works also under DOS (and midi sounds little
worse). If you know exactly that SB PCI has no synth than let it be so,
but it seems to me it HAS hardware synth but has no onboard memory for
patches itself (is a guess).

> memory.  The linux drivers don't have a built-in software synth, but
> you can use something like timidity to play midis if you need to.  The

Timidity I have sheeped with terrible instrument set, it's SO bad I
can't really listen to that sound. Also, timidity has bad synth yet
(e.g., no modulation support).

> /dev/midi I believe outputs to the MPU-401 jack on the card, so if you
> had an external sequencer attached it would work.

I'll try to connect my Casio CTK 611 to midi port, pity that you didn't
said how to send data to it. Should I use 'cat'? At least, I can't
figure out anything better.

--
                                                        Daniil Kolpakov
                                                     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Unknown" Network card
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:46:32 -0700

Hi there,

I don't know will it help or not but you could try

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week06/0475.html

Andrey

------------------------------

From: sysop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI queuing sounds
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:55:29 GMT

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:59:42 GMT, sysop
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >gLaNDix wrote:
> >> for instance:
> >> 1.) play an mp3
> >> 2.) open up a term and do 'play <soundfile>'
> >> the 'play <soundfile>' command just sits there waiting until i stop
> >> the mp3, then it finally plays...  this is not the desired effect...
> >> i would like it to return something like "device is in use"
> >
> >btw. i've got a 1371 and the same problem. probably the same driver, or
>
> The ES1371 has two output channels, dsp0 and dsp1 AFAICT, but for some
> reason only dsp0 gets used unless you explicitly configure one (or
> more) sound-emitting programs to use the other one.  DOn't know for sure
> what's up with that.
>
> The Enlightenment sound daemon (esd) can mix several audio sources in
> software, allowing you to stack sounds.  Many programs including xmms can
> make use of esd--have you tried that?
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
> \----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still
>  \There is no Darkness in Eternity \  remain as Man." --David Zindell "So did
> But only Light too dim for us to see\ they become Gods, or Usenetters?" --/me

hi,

cool! it works!

In licq I replaced the "play" command with "esdplay" and configured xmms to use
esd. Now the icq tune will be mixed throug the xmms stream. thanks for the tip!

        wolter kamphuis

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:56:11 -0700

Hi,

check results of yahoo search engine, too many links to read

http://ink.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=linux+AMD+LANCE+7990&hc=0&hs=0
http://mops.uci.agh.edu.pl/mopsy-linux/drivers/net/lance.c
http://judi.greens.org/usrsrc/linux-2.0.33/drivers/net/lance.c
http://cesys.ajou.ac.kr/~graph/unix/navigator/navigator.cgi-drivers-net-lance.c.htm

http://yebisu.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/linux/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-3.html#lance

http://yebisu.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/linux/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html

Andrey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Haynes)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution
Date: 27 Jun 2000 16:34:38 +0000

Robin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew McDonald) writes:

> > > Sorry! www.oseu.co.uk/news.htm
> >
> > ITYM, http://www.oseu.co.uk/news.htm
>
> Yes that annoys me as well, missing out the protocol.

Theoretically it should also be cited in the form
"<URL:http://www.oseu.co.uk/news.htm>", if I read the RFC right.

(Yes, when people tell me to "go to www.site.com" I either suggest they pay
me travel costs, or come out with something inane like "well it's
responding to ping... oh! you didn't specify a protocol?!" ;)

> Also why do people start webservers with http://www , if you are using
> http then you could rename the webserver something more interesting such
> as http://help.xxxxxx

Good point. Ever noticed <URL:http://directory.google.com/> as a sensible
idea, followed by much sensible use of those new-fangled "directory" things
underneath?  How much more memorable could it get than
<http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Scheme/Implementations/>?

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Haynes)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 27 Jun 2000 16:55:22 +0000

David Coulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Robin Smith wrote:
> > Also why do people start webservers with http://www , if you are using
> > http then you could rename the webserver something more interesting
> > such as http://help.xxxxxx
>
> To identify what the machine does?
> e.g.
> mail server is called 'mail'
> web server is called 'www' (why not http or web?)
> ftp is called 'ftp'
>
> It makes more sense to people who arn't familiar with your network. If
> you say "Copy the configuration file from mail to www" it makes sense

If 'mail' does mail and 'www' does www, what config file had you in mind? ;)

> to pretty much everyone, where as if you name your machines after
> lovecraft characters, it's a little bit confusing.

But far more entertaining. In practice, the distribution of activities over
machines is not always (rarely, IME) 1:1.

Actually, something I was thinking of earlier today: where has the concept
of 'subdomain' actually *gone*? There's so much egotism in "who can have
the shortest email address", [EMAIL PROTECTED], that all usefulness has gone out
t'window. Surely a "website" (whatever one of those is) should be one of
        <URL:http://support.foo.com/>,
        <URL:http://www.support.foo.com/>,
or even <URL:http://www.foo.com/support/>,
for those for whom support stuff is compressible into one directory?

~Tim

From: David Damerell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 27 Jun 2000 18:00:52 +0100 (BST)

David Coulson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>mail server is called 'mail'
>web server is called 'www' (why not http or web?)
>ftp is called 'ftp'

More accurately, one should use CNAMEs, and actually name the machines
something else.
--
David/Kirsty Damerell.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CUWoCS President.  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/   Hail Eris!

------------------------------

From: "Graham Staker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10Gb HD - can't mount vfat filesystem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:10:27 +0800

Yep!  Done that too - but see the sfdisk output in my original posting which
essentially shows the same info.  I'm wondering if the partition boundaries
need to be aligned exactly on the cylinders.  Perhaps that might help with
the FAT32 partition.  Obviously doesn't seem to matter
with the native partitions.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
..

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crash copying large directories
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:24:58 +0200

Bruce wrote:
> It seems to work well for most things, but will invariably crash if I
> try to copy a large amount of files at once, i.e. if I try to move a
> folder with several hundred Mb of files from another machine over the
> network, the server may completely and utterly lock up (no keyboard
> response whatsoever, can't telnet in, etc.).
>
> Could this be due to a hardware problem, i.e., bad blocks on the
> server HD, or bad RAM, or is it more likely due to a software error?

I have seen this kind of problems with 3com vortex and boomerang cards
when being networked together with bad NE2000 clones. The Linux machine
with the 3com card froze, no answer to ping, and the console was dead.
Only a hard reboot helped.

The problem disappeared when the NE2000 clones in the other machines
were replaced. It would also help to replace the 3com card.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Problems with Redhat 6.2 - Bad Geometry?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:31:36 +0200

Norm Ackroyd wrote:
> When I boot into Redhat and run 'fdisk /dev/sdd' (or sde), it detects
> the drives, but gives me an error saying that it cannot find "a valid
> DOS Partition table, nor Sun or SGI disklabel".

Write yourself a DOS partition table by pressing "o" in fdisk. Most
people are used to use DOS partition tables with Linux, but Linux is
also capable of using other kind of partition tables like the one from
SUN.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to configure to use null modem port?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:41:30 +0200

"¾È»ó±Ù" wrote
> I use serial port(COM1) to control my special board,
> I could send my command to the board and receive the output from it
> on Win98/PENTIUM environment.
> But on Linux(/dev/ttyS0, or /dev/modem) and the same computer,
> i CAN receive the messages from my board,
> but i am NOT able to send my command to it with minicom,

What happens if you try to send commands with mincom? Do you use the
same cable in both environments? As you can se output from your board I
suppose that you have the right baudrate. What about flow-control? Do
you use the same settings in Windows and Linux?

If you are using a standard null modem cable you could try to connect it
between two serial ports on your PC and see what happens if you run two
minicom, are the two minicom able to communicate with each other?

How about duplex settings? Maybe you are able to send commands to your
board but unable to see them if it doesn't echo.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: sylvain hutchsion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installation problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:44:04 -0700

Thanks a lot,

Sly.

------------------------------

From: WhO cAreS? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Microstar versus asus k7v
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:46:09 -0500

I have had experience with both. I currently own a Microstar (the MS-6167) /w a AMD
K7 500. This one run PC100 RAM and does not really fly in AGP throughput (I think it
runs at 2x).

I just bought a Athlon system /w K7V Athlon mobo for my dad, it blew my system away
(similar config, e.g. same Video card, same sound card, same amount of ram, and
software, we both run W98 SE) so bad that I am thinking of getting rid of my machine
right now and buy a new one. Plus, the K7V has extra mobo feature such as LAN
waking, heat monitoring (which does not really matter for a normal desktop use,
but...), 133 MHz RAM bandwidth, more stability (The AMD-756 Irongate was not a very
stable chip, plus it was really behind the K7 processor technology). It also has
better AGP throughput, I did not benchmark it but one can feel the difference in the
game or DVD playback.

Anyway, I highly recommend the K7V mobo, from my own experience.

--
One can never learn enough.
WhO cAreS?

------------------------------

From: Randy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Zoltrix external Rainbow modem
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:37:35 GMT

I'm looking for a modem to work with my new install of Mandrake 7.1.
Would prefer to have a hardware based modem.  This one is certainly
cheap.  Has anyone had success getting it working with Linux?  Any
other inexpensive suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: John Gluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox g400 Dual Head
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:40:32 -0400

Louis Cyfer wrote:

> Hi guys,can u tell me if xfree86 4.0 supports dual head mode on my video
> card?

It is apparently possible to do this with the 2.4 kernel.
The kernel must be compiled with support for dual-head, framebuffer, and
the G400.
In XFree86 it means using the fbdev driver and not the MGA.

That's the theory of it. I don't know of anyone trying (including myself).
One of theses days I will give it a try.

--
John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help in learning device drivers
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:46:48 GMT

hi everybody
 i recently started learning to write device drivers
where can i find resources on the net?
i know about rubini's book, khg etc
i want to see some very simple drivers, iam finding the going
very tough please help

From: John Gluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix,fon.hardware,yu.beotelnet,yu.comp.hardware,yu.drenik.oglasi,yu.eunet,yu.oglasi,yu.racunari
Subject: Re: PENTIJUM MII 300 ( F O N T O )
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:54:03 -0400

SLAVISA wrote:

> Prodajem racunar pentijum koji sam dobio na igri FONTO
>
> PM9100C PC100 + SVGA + SB, CPU M II 300, 14' HYUNDAI Color, 4.3 GB, 32 MB
> SDRAM, MINI TOWER, TASTATURA I MIS.
>
> NOVO NEKORISTENO POD GARANCIJUM
>
> CENA 800 DEM
>
> 011/3193139 i 064 1236035

Hi

I've noticed that you have done quite a few posts that aren't getting