Linux-Hardware Digest #833, Volume #10           Fri, 23 Jul 99 17:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SCSI Tape setup under RH 4.2 (Biltmore) (jim)
  S3 chip and problems too...... ("Larry Clark")
  modem problem "callback" ("Jan Rockstedt")
  Re: Fujitsu MO ATAPI (Mike Westall)
  MS Windows Sound System (Please Help me with this sound card) !!!!!!!! ("Janc Lage")
  New MB won't boot! ("Gary R. Skuse, Ph.D.")
  Microsoft Wheel Mouse in Linux (Tung-Sheng Lin)
  raid0 kernel code help! (Weilong)
  Linux on Pro-Star 8290 (Peter Stein)
  drivers for Dimond Fire GL 1 (Vatsavai Ranga Raju)
  Re: Use CD-R for every day CD Use? ("Eirik Wilberg")
  Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Sounblaster Live Under Suse Linux 6.1 ("Steve Doney")
  Re: DSL and Linux ("Kurtis D. Rader")
  Aztech soundcard (dmw)
  Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime (Matthias Kilian)
  Re: 1 or 2 HD's (wizard)
  Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk? (Don Grbac)
  SUN Disk Label - How to remove?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  no operating system? ("Larry Clark")
  Re: Mobo for linux server (wizard)
  Yamaha XG 64V sound card (Andy Mai)
  Re: Problem with HD > 8G (Lego Andy)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Tape setup under RH 4.2 (Biltmore)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:27:44 GMT

Christopher Suleske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow, here's one for you:

> I have added a SCSI tape drive (DDS3 device) to a system and wish to
> make a system backup before going to 6.0.  During boot, I see the unit
> verified during SCSI bus initialization, but linux doesn't detect it as
> /dev/st0.

> How can I make the device for this unit?

/dev/st0 has major device number 9, minor 0, so you need to run

  mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0

You also need the st module or kernel support, and you might have to add

  alias char-major-9 st

to your /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf .

(Disclaimer: I use Slackware, but it shouldn't be any different)

> TIA; reply by email if you can.

Cc'd (I think, if tin is at all intelligent)

--
jim
--

------------------------------

From: "Larry Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 chip and problems too......
Date: 23 Jul 1999 19:02:47 GMT

I too am having probs with my s3 chipset and I am looking for the newest
server at xfree86.org and I see some dedicated for my s3 chip I think I am
looking at the right place but how do I know what version xfree86 I am
running now? thanks larry

------------------------------

From: "Jan Rockstedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem problem "callback"
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:49:51 +0200

Hi !

I have a usrobotics courier and linux mandrake 6.
The callback in kppp from our shiva lanrover to my modem do not work in
mandrake.

Any sugestion ?

Jan

Ps: Without callback every thing works ok.

------------------------------

From: Mike Westall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fujitsu MO ATAPI
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:19:33 -0400

I have the SCSI version and it works OK.  I do seem to remember some
strange stuff though regarding whether it should be addressed as /dev/sda
or /dev/sda1.  I normally use FAT formatted media and /dev/sda works OK.
I have used ext2 and possibly it was in that case that I had to call it
/dev/sda1
when mounting and/or building the file system.

Mike Westall
Professor of Computer Science
Clemson University

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Janc Lage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MS Windows Sound System (Please Help me with this sound card) !!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:08:56 -0300

Please anyone could help me to configure my Microsoft Windows Sound System
sound card ?
I'm trying "sndconfig" giveing the same hardware parameters used by
Windows98 (I have linux and Win98 at the same PC) and when I configure the
card the program ask me if I can hear the sample file but I just can hear
one short noise at the speakers (connected in to the OUT LINE in my card).

Please help me because I realy don't know what to do !!!

------------------------------

From: "Gary R. Skuse, Ph.D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New MB won't boot!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:07:36 -0400

This afternoon I replaced the MB in my Linux box with an FIC 503+ (K6-II
400) and now it won't boot.  I get partly through the boot process and
am stopped by a message saying:

"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000004" followed by a screen full of additional messages and hex
numbers.

Of course everything worked ok until I replaced the MB and I didn't do
anything to change the HDD configuration (that I know of).

Any suggestions?  I like my Linux box and want it back.

-Gary

From: Tung-Sheng Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft Wheel Mouse in Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:17:27 -0700

Hi,
Is it possible to make the scrolling wheel of my Microsoft Wheel Mouse
(2 buttons plus a wheel button) work under Linux (of course, under
X-windows)? Please also send follow-ups to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Thanks!

Tung-Sheng Lin
==================================
Communications Sciences Institute
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California
==================================

------------------------------

From: Weilong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: raid0 kernel code help!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:24:30 -0400

==============D54C325EDE9C4FF2CE73B950

Hello, everyone:

In the raid0.c:

beginning from line 103:

 nb_zone=data->nr_zones=
 md_size[minor]/data->smallest->size +
 (md_size[minor]%data->smallest->size ? 1 : 0);

 I can't quite understand it. Suppose we have four disks, disk1 is 50M.
disk2 is 100M. disk3 is 100M. and disk4 is 160M.

 So, md_size[minor] is 50+100+100+160 = 410M.
 And data->smaillest->size = 60M.

 So,  nb_zone = 6+1 = 7; but, I think the zone should be 8 if we strip
them
into zones.

 Where is my understanding wrong?

 thanks

weilong

==============D54C325EDE9C4FF2CE73B950

&nbsp;
is 50M.
if we strip them
<pre>&nbsp;</pre>

<pre>weilong</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux on Pro-Star 8290
Date: 23 Jul 1999 19:27:26 GMT

Any experiences with the Pro-Star 8290 laptop?

Peter Stein

From: Vatsavai Ranga Raju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: drivers for Dimond Fire GL 1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:27:35 -0500

Hi

Does anyone know about the availablity of  driver for Dimond Fire GL 1
graphics card under Red Hat Linux 6.0.

Thanks

Raju
----

------------------------------

From: "Eirik Wilberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Use CD-R for every day CD Use?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:28:21 +0200

<cough> Bull$hit <cough>
Steve Doney skrev i meldingen <7n7qgk$57s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:09:26 -0500

Lars Amsel wrote:

> i have the video adapter G200. It is possible to display 800x600 on SuSE
> 6.0. If I try to switch to 1024x768 the X-Server hangs on startup.

The card is certainly capable of more under Linux -- I run it a 1280x1024 on my
distribution.

I assume you're already using the SVGA server?  Also, what version of XFree86
are you running?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sounblaster Live Under Suse Linux 6.1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:45:50 +0100

I have Suse 6.1 with standard kernel and found the SBLIVE needed a higher
version. I had previously seen a post advising to change the check via a hex
editor and gave this a try. So now the beta 3 works with my setup.

I'm at work now and don't recall the exact kernel version numbers.

I get nice clear sounds but I have not been able to use a midi player due to
some conflict over /dev/sequencer. I think there must be more to add to
/etc/conf.modules than Creative have in their readme file.

hth
Christian Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:7n7ram$e0u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kurtis D. Rader" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL and Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:27:05 -0700

Chris wrote:
> Tim, is that all? I mean, connect from the NIC to the ADSL modem and
> I can access the web now? How do I set up in LINUX given that I've
> connected (say a 3Com NIC) to my Alcatel 1000 ADSL modem? Is it a
> normal network setup?  Have you actually tried this out?    Btw,
> what 10 BaseT NIC do you recommend? (especially those that got
> drivers in Redhat 6.0 currently/drivers that are obtainable through
> the internet for the NIC)

An ADSL modem is, for all intents and purposes, an ethernet bridge. It
performs no routing, address conversions, or anything else. All it
does it convert ADSL physical signaling to whatever is required by the
other media connector. That is normally 10baseT. So to convert to your
system you would normally use a standard 10baseT crossover cable. Of
course, you can also attach a hub to the modem and then attach your
systems to the hub if you have more than one system.

For a NIC you can use just about anything. I went with a SMC EZ PCI
10baseT ethernet card. Cheap and reliable. Use the PCI NE2K driver in
RedHat. Standard RedHat v6.0 kernels have most of the NIC drivers
enabled by default and the kernel will automatically chose the correct
one.

You configure the LINUX network subsystem just like you would for any
host attached to a local area network. The fact that your host is
connected to an ADSL modem is immaterial. Just pretend you're
connected to a standard ethernet hub or switch. Your ISP should have
told you whether to configure your host for DHCP or static address
assignment. If the latter they should have provided you with a subnet
mask, an IP address, one or two DNS addresses, and a default gateway
address.

--
Kurtis D. Rader, Staff Engineer              email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sequent Computer Systems                     voice: +1 503-578-3714

------------------------------

From: dmw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aztech soundcard
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:14:28 -0500

I have an Aztech AZT1008 PnP sound card and Linux 2.2.10.  According to
the Open Sound System website, there is alpha or a beta support
available for this card somewhere.  Can anyone help me find such
software?

Thanks,
Derek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Kilian)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime
Date: 23 Jul 1999 16:47:34 GMT

> I found one on sunsite that works really well---you can leave it running
> for a day or so.

Would you be so kind to share that secret URL with us?

Kili

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1 or 2 HD's
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:24:33 -0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> DigitalShadowz wrote:
>
> >     I am building a new system and want to use both Linux and win98.  Is it
> > preferred to run both on a single HD that is partitioned, or to pick up two
> > HD's or does it not matter?  I am new to Linux and want the freedom to be
> > able to play with it with out too much risk to my other data.  Also anyone
> > know of somewhere with good prices on SCSI controllers/drives?  Thx in
> > advance.

If you really intend to "play" with Linux, it would be best to set up Linux
entirely on its own harddisk and then boot linux from floppy.    I did this for
awhile as it really does reduce your risk to the Win95 drive to almost zero.
I quickly learned just how good the kernel is in Linux, so now I boot directly
into Linux and only use the win stuff when I absolutely have to.

Any computer system will benefit from an extra IDE HD assuming that its on a
seperate controller.   The benefits are largely dependant on how the system is
setup and used, with some database operations showing very large gains.

Once you are comfortable with Linux and decide that you aren't going to "play"
with things that would harm the boot process you will find that there are many
ways to set up everything with one or two drives.    Noticing a difference in the
selected installation is entirely related to how you use the machine.    A large
number of people would not notice a difference between having one or two
harddisks in the system.

I like the adaptec controllers myself, but have used others with equal
success.    If you really believe that you want two HDs, you might want to
consider two IDE devices.    One for each of the IDE controllers on the
motherboard.    Buy a cheaper SCSI card for the CDROM and other devices.    This
approach often works out to be the lowcost / high performance one.    The key to
SCSI is to make sure its supported by your kernel!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: Don Grbac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:05:19 +0000

Thanks for the responses!

I will look into varying the inode density to get more space.

Yes, the 250mb zip drive is being considered.

Don

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc,linux.debian.sparc,linux.redhat.sparc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SUN Disk Label - How to remove??
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:21:30 GMT

All,

I've salvaged a couple of SCSI-2 drives from old Sparc LXs to run
linux on in a PC. Everything works ok, but the linux kernel always
reports the disk carries a Sun label during boot - even after I've
"low level" formatted the disks using the SCSI controller bios utility
(both Buslogic and Adaptec).

So,

1)   What exactly happens to the disk when we select "Label" from the
SunOS/Solaris FORMAT utility?

2)   Can the label be removed?

Bewildered, and appreciative of some enlightenment,

Harry

------------------------------

From: "Larry Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no operating system?
Date: 23 Jul 1999 19:45:20 GMT

now I have a no operating system warning.
I tried to go to console and load the xfree86_s3v server and it went to
init kill or something like that....then I did a ctrl-alt-del and backed
out then tried to restart my system and thats what I got.......dud...what
happened....I thought it would boot fine.......dud.....

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mobo for linux server
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:38:14 -0400

Yan Seiner wrote:

> I am setting up a linux server (no x, dual homed, 100baseT eth).  My old
> P5-166 is about maxed out.  Any suggestions for a reliable mobo+CPU
> combo?  I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a PII-350.
> Performance is not really an issue; rock solid reliability and cost are
> more important.

Hi Yan;

If you want rock solid motherboards please consider the ASUS P2B
series.     You can sitck just about any processor into it (Celeron, P2,
P3) and be pleased.    They also have a follow on board ,the P3B, that I
have no experience with.

The P2B comes in several flavors, including one with SCSI and dual
processor versions.     If your maxed out on a P5 - 166 I'm not sure that a
P2 - 350 is going to give you alot of performance room.    The rest of the
hardware has to be considered carefully, but then you did not explain maxed
out so thats up to you.

Personally I'd consider dual Celerons which seem to be the rage lately, but
this is a bit experimental.    You would also have to be sure that all of
your software is happy with SMP.     ABIT has a nice board for dual Celeron
use but I've not used it and it is very new on the market.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Mai)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Yamaha XG 64V sound card
Date: 23 Jul 1999 14:42:00 -0600

Sorry about the mulitple posts.  I got the wrong subject the first time
around.

I have just purchased a new DELL Dimension XPS T450 home computer.
It has a Yamaha XG 64V PCI sound card apparently built on something
called the "724 DS-1" chip set.  Other info of questionable value:
        PCI Slot 2 is DVD/audio
        PCI Slot 3 is Audio/SCSI (there are no SCSI devices in the computer)
        None of the 16 IRQs mention audio or sound as a resource.  Both DREQ0
        and DREQ1 are mentioned as "Default audio DMA channel assignment".

After a complete install of RedHat 6.0 on half of my HD (I picked the
"everything" install option), I ran sndconfig but it did not find the
sound card as a PnP device, so I still have no sound on the Linux side.
It sounds great over on the Windows 98 side.

Questions:

(1) Since this card is not on the list of supported cards, does this
    mean that it will be difficult or impossible to get it working?
(2) Assuming possible, what is the procedure?  Obtain a driver? (Whatever
    *that* is...)  Rebuild kernel?  (Yikes!  From what I have
    read, I am probably not capable of this -- not now, not ever.)
    Configure something somewhere in the system?  (I haven't a clue
    what or where...)

Since I am a complete computer illiterate, I would ideally like to
get some advice along the lines of a detailed, step-by-step set of
instructions.  If this is not possbile, just say so!  I'll forgo
sound on the Linux side if I must, but I don't want any more trouble.
Installing RedHat 6.0 has already been my worst nightmare.

Andy Mai
voice: 303-497-1391
fax  : 303-497-1700
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Lego Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with HD > 8G
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:19:52 GMT

Install EZDrive from http://www.westerndigital.com

        Andy

> I have an AST Advantage 9403 (MMX-166) for about 3 years.
> I installed a Western Digital 13G (AC313000) hard drive.
> My Linux (ver 2.0.35) can only see about 8 G.  Do anyone
> has any idea on this problem?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> -- Kevin

  |\      _,,,,--,,_     E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  /,`.-'`'    -,  \-;,   ICQ:    10024539
 |,4-  ) ),,__ ,\ (  ;;  URL: http://andy.x0.or
'---''(.'--'  `-'`.)`'   TEL: 301 725 5724