Linux-Hardware Digest #833, Volume #12           Wed, 10 May 00 02:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Quick Script help! ("shawn")
  Re: can only see 31G of 40G hard drive (macabre)
  Re: RH6.1 on ExtremeRaid 1100 (macabre)
  Re: System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem (macabre)
  Re: CD-ROM Changer (macabre)
  Re: DVD-RAM? with Linux? (macabre)
  Re: I cant install because the linux installation wont recognize my cd-rom (macabre)
  Re: Indybox Computers (macabre)
  Re: tv output (macabre)
  Re: Problem with upper PCMCIA Socket on HP800, but only when running  Windows95
(macabre)
  Re: ISDN COnnection How to? (macabre)
  Re: Do any New Distributions Have the USB Backport? (macabre)
  Re: my PS/2 mouse doesn't work (or my IRQ 12 ?) (macabre)
  Re: Server Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor Frozen (Adam Haeder)
  Re: S3 Trio 3D/2X bombs on Red Hat 6.1 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Canon BJC-2000 AND WORDPERFECT 8 LINUX (Rod Smith)
  Weird CD Rom Problem (nospamvei.net)
  Re: Building PC for Audio Editing.. Help! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bug in kernels >=2.2.14 ("Andre Smit")

From: "shawn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Quick Script help!
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 21:15:27 -0800

try
#! /bin/sh
cd /etc/Rollemup; ./Rollemup

-Shawn

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can only see 31G of 40G hard drive
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:24:40 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1 on ExtremeRaid 1100
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:25:00 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:25:28 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-ROM Changer
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:25:38 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM? with Linux?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:25:50 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I cant install because the linux installation wont recognize my cd-rom
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:26:02 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Indybox Computers
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:26:15 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tv output
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:26:28 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.hp.hardware
Subject: Re: Problem with upper PCMCIA Socket on HP800, but only when running
Windows95
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:26:40 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISDN COnnection How to?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:26:54 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Do any New Distributions Have the USB Backport?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:27:07 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: macabre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my PS/2 mouse doesn't work (or my IRQ 12 ?)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:27:20 GMT

http://www.utter-macabre.com

------------------------------

From: Adam Haeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Server Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor Frozen
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:37:51 GMT

Steve Crossan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Linux server running RedHat 6.0 (HP E60 Server) & the keyboard,
> mouse and monitor have frozen ( num lock light doesn't work). I can
> telnet to the machine, and all it's daemons are working fine, just seems
> to be these three devices have stopped working. Anyone know a good trick
> to re-start them - possibly by sending some signal to the devices?

If you unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, do you get anything? Do the
Num Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock lights blink when you plug it back in?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Trio 3D/2X bombs on Red Hat 6.1
Date: 10 May 2000 04:30:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: K6-2 450 MHz processor, 128 Megs of RAM, and a generic AGP video board
: with the S3 TRIO 3D/2X chipset and 8 Megs of video ram on board.

: XFree86 Version 3.3.5 / X Window System
: (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
: Release Date: August 23 1999
:       If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
:       than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
:       problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)

Please do.

: Operating System: Linux 2.2.5-22smp i686 [ELF]

SMP ?????? What?

:       s3_savage, s3_virge, AP6422, AT24, AT3D, s3_svga, NM2070, NM2090,

Looks OK, but check with xfree86.org.

: (**) SVGA: Graphics device ID: "My Video Card"
: (**) SVGA: Monitor ID: "Samsung SyncMaster 3"
: (--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 35.16 kHz. Deleted.
: (--) SVGA: Mode "640x400" needs hsync freq of 37.86 kHz. Deleted.

What did you set? It's rejecting everything based on your hsync values!

: (--) SVGA: Mode "640x480" needs hsync freq of 36.46 kHz. Deleted.
: (--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 37.88 kHz. Deleted.
: (--) SVGA: Mode "640x480" needs hsync freq of 43.27 kHz. Deleted.
: (--) SVGA: Mode "1152x864" needs hsync freq of 43.92 kHz. Deleted.
: (**) FontPath set to "unix/:-1"

Bad idea.

: (--) SVGA: PCI: S3 Trio3D/2X rev 2, Memory @ 0xd8000000
: (--) SVGA: S3V: Trio3D/2X rev 2, Linear FB @ 0xd8000000
: (--) SVGA: Detected S3 Trio3D/2X
: (--) SVGA: using driver for chipset "s3_virge"
: (--) SVGA: videoram:  0k
: (--) SVGA: Ramdac speed: 170 MHz
: (--) SVGA: Detected current MCLK value of 100.227 MHz
: (--) SVGA: chipset:  s3_virge
: (--) SVGA: videoram: 0k

   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh. Seems obvious that you have to tell it how much ram you have!

: (**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
: (--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 170.000 MHz
: (--) SVGA: Mode "640x400" requires -640 of videoram, only -1024 is
: available

Etc.

: It seems to be telling me that there is no RAM on the video card.  I
: told the Xconfigurator that there was 8 Megs there.  What am I doing
: wrong, or better yet, what can I do to remedy this problem?  Any help

Edit your XF86Config, please! Who cares what you told XConfigurator
or other gui.

Peter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Canon BJC-2000 AND WORDPERFECT 8 LINUX
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:47:04 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  I know the BJC-600 works under Linux for a BJC-2000. Under WordPerfect
> however I am having difficulties. Anyone been sucessful or have clues for a
> similiar driver?

Most people who ask questions like this (for any printer) have tried to
select a printer driver in WP for Linux for that particular model. A
simpler approach is often to use a PostScript driver and print through the
usual printer queue, letting Ghostscript do the conversion. The QMS
magicolor driver works well for most color inkjets. For more information,
check my WP fonts & printers web page:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/wpfonts/

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: daddison@(nospam)vei.net
Subject: Weird CD Rom Problem
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:39:32 -0500

I'm running Mandrake 7.0. The system will recognize my 50x ATAPI CD Rom if I am using
a data disk. But if I attempt to play a music CD kdfm tells me "Could not list
directory contents file:/mnt/cdrom/". If I use the Gnome or KDE CD player, they both
show that the CD Rom is empty. Why will it run data CDs but not music?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Building PC for Audio Editing.. Help!
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 05:50:52 GMT

On 8 May 2000 14:51:00 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Robert Hampf) wrote:

>How do the STUDI/O and Linux like each other?  What drivers would you
>recommend?  Are there any limitations to what features of the card you
>can use under Linux?
>
>rh

Works really well with the OSS driver, although it is still a beta
driver. It does not yet support record/playback with two ADATs
simultaneously, but the "one ADAT + stereo S/PDIF" mode (which is what
I am using) works fine. There is no graphical interface to the control
panel, so be prepared for manually editing configuration files.
4-Front who writes the OSS drivers is a commersial company so you will
have to pay for the driver, $80 or so for the STUDI/O option.
Can't remember the  OSS web adress at the moment, but check
http://www.sonorus.com for a link to the Linux driver.

frank

From: "Andre Smit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: Bug in kernels >=2.2.14
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 07:55:34 +0200

I had the same problem with a tulip PCI card, worked fine then I upgraded to