The preview looks decent but the php causes my browser to tell me that 'the page was replaced while you were trying to print it'...

Google uses a similar process to decent effect - the same policy of just printing the main frame content with the logo and title pasted in at the top.

I suspect the best way to create serious (from a design-for-print standpoint) web-to-print systems is to install a php-based pdf generator, because at the end of the day no matter how sophisticated web technologies get, printing from within the browser is always going to leave a world's worth of factors out of your control. I believe Adobe have a very nice system based on this principle.

Had a fun experience recently when developing my own print stylesheet whereby my overflow:hidden properties caused the print to be limited to one page no matter what.

Regards,
Barney

Raphael Martins wrote:
Look at http://www.tsa.ind.br
they have print styles, and also a php print preview, using the print CSS.
Barney Carroll escreveu:
CK wrote:
Hi,

After browsing some favored CSS sites, some by Standards Evangelist, there seems to be a decline in the use of print styles. Has some movement escaped my research?

Decline? There are only two truly decent print styles I've ever seen, ala and bbc news. Every wonderful article I've ever read about print styles is all but illegible in physical form. It's a shame because if I know I'm going to be reading for over 3 minutes I far prefer to have physical copy.

I would love to hear of other well-printed sites though. I strongly believe in css for print but have seen far too few good examples of it.

Regards,
Barney

Barney Carroll
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement