I suspect the best way to create serious (from a design-for-print standpoint) web-to-print systems is to install a php-based pdf generator, because at the end of the day no matter how sophisticated web technologies get, printing from within the browser is always going to leave a world's worth of factors out of your control. I believe Adobe have a very nice system based on this principle.

I thought part of the whole web standards thing was joyously embracing the lack of control, and creating styles, for various formats (screen, print, etc) with the fore-knowledge of variety of devices?

If we have embraced a lack of control on screen, why not also embrace the lack of control for print?

Kat