Jixor - Stephen I wrote:
There is a few PHP (and php+perl/etc) things out there that do html to pdf but none of them are quite right. One will find that they need to spend a lot of time tweaking their output and if you are printing with complex floats even add additional markup to compensate for bugs. So thats not quite a good option yet either.

Ive been writing print stylesheets and then printing to PDF from the browser (firefox) with PrimoPDF (http://www.primopdf.com) to create pdf files when I or a client needs them, doesn't quite solve the problem but it comes in handy. I think those sites that use a stylesheet-switcher to switch to a printer-friendly version to make the layout and so on simpler, hiding useless/irrelevant objects from the printed page and still maintaining the look and feel of the sites formatting work very well on the whole.

If we never use the print css tools people will never catch on and browser support will continue to be flaky. On the topic of weird and wonderful print css glitches never use white-space: pre; with IE6 print css because it's well... you guessed it, it's broken (at least in conjunction with lists that is).

Rob O