From: Jean-Marie Poirier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:33 PM
To: lute
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Playing in time

Jaroslaw,

I think it's right ! I have attached two examples : the first strain of the
Pavane La Bataille in Phalčse, Chorearum Molliorum, 1583, and the eqivalent
first strain of the adjoining Gaillarde. What I tried to explain is apparent
here  and the "tactus inequalis" applies perfectly. I was probaly confused
and confusing too in my attempt to explain.

The Pavan has a regular tactus , one breve down, one breve up.
The Gaillard keeps the same breve down,( i.e. 2 semibreves) and the up beat
is "inequalis", that is unequal, so the hand goes up with one semibreve of
the Gaillarde instead of one breve in the Pavan.

The interesting point is you keep the same "tactus" for the down beat, and
thus it is very easy to return to duple time and keep a proper equivalence.

How this applies to the lute litterature is a quite different story
altogether... Actually, the transcriptions from polyphonic music to
tablature are not always consistent and you can observe variations in the
equivalence adopted between "score" and tablature. Musical flair and good
sense have to come to the rescue I'm afraid... Some will split the dance
(Pavan) into half measures, which then become whole measures in the tab,
some will stick to the original format...
So where do we stand ? That's the critical moment when the structure of the
piece has to be thoroughly dismantled and analysed to try and understand the
better possible solution, in terms of rhythm, phrasing and, possibly, steps.

As for Elizbethan dance movements such as Pavan etc., I think we have to be
very careful before deciding if theyhave to be "danceable" or if they are
stylised forms. Both cases coexist in the repertoire, and here again nothing
is clearly indicated in the sources. Only a very close analysis and a good
dose of musical sense will help you come to an acceptable solution.

If you think of Chopin's Waltzes for the piano, you can hear very different
versions of them, some more dance like than others. IMHO it may be the same
with early baroque dance forms and I put a good deal of the Elizabethan lute
music in that category.

Best,

Jean-Marie
======= 06-02-2008 12:29:10 =======

>Peter,
>I am afraid this is not correct. I've just took the first manuscript from
my
>shelf with Italian renaissance music without any particular digging for
>something special and what I can see? This is a facsimile edition of
>"Intabolatura de lauto" by Antonio Rotta edited in Venetia 1546. If we turn
>the title page we have the first piece which is Passamezzo with two flags
>(crotchets using contemporary system of notation) per bar. The next piece
is
>Gagliarda with three flags per bar (of the same value). If we play both
>pieces it becomes quite clear that one bar from Passamezzo equals one bar
>from Gagliarda. So Donnington was right I am afraid ( the citation was from
>his 1990 edition) and most things we can find in his book are still valid.
>The whole mess with Pavan - Galliard proportions comes from our modern
>thinking in uni-proportional system. In multi-proportional system which was
>commonly used in renaissance this problem wouldn't exist because proportion
>for this set of dances was very clear and easy; modus imperfectus equals
>modus perfectus. This is why I said the pulse remains the same only dancers
>change their steps.
>All the best
>
>Jaroslaw

[EMAIL PROTECTED]