Rob
        Sorry, I can't quite leave-off, you got me thinking too much. Of
course, like everyone else, I can't help thinking about what lute I
would like next, but also, how I wish I was a little more focussed
and less dilettante (imore in the French use of this word (i.e. going
where momentary pleasure takes me, rather than concentrating on one
period and a few pieces at a time) which makes me the complete
amateur that I am.
Thus of course, my words for you, are for myself. Difficult for it to
be otherwise.

Le 2 avr. 08 =E0 20:21, Rob MacKillop a ecrit :

> Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided instead to get a
> Fender
> Stratocaster - covers most things from Francesco to Jimi, and costs
> a lot
> less.

Why not, I have recently been sorely tempted to take-up the Pipa or
even the Guqin, silk-stringed of course.
After a few minutes of the silk Guqin you start to float, and not an
opium poppy in sight Mi'lud
I even  discussed string issues with one of the few remaining silk
string makers, very enlightening actually, not unlike the synthetics/
gut debate on our lists.

> Jean-Marie - I used to have an 8c (seems like a thousand years ago)
> on which
> (at the advice of Jacob Lindberg) I swaped the bottom two courses
> around. I
> just never felt happy with it, and soon sold it. Everyone is
> different,
> thankfully.
>
> 9c - why play a 9 when a 10 opens up so much more? So, Anthony, I
> will not
> be phoning Matt Wadsworth who has a 9c Gottlieb for sale (I'm sure
> it will
> be a great buy for somebody).

Oups I forgot your bad experience with the Buchenberg ...
However, I was mainly thinking about your decision not to change to
TI, and I wonder whether Dowland
did not change to TO at the same time as he took up the 9c, as Martin
claims he did (I mean take up the 9c, never adopting the 8c),

In fact, I was really wondering about the option of a 10c that could
double as a 9c with double top string.
Thus a lute having all the potential of a 10c lute plus the more
curious pleasure of delving into the 9c repertoire.
The string length of that particular lute was, I think, too long for
your purpose, although I wondered about the possibility (if it had a
double top string)
of transforming it the otherway, into a 9/10c lute.

In short, I was wondering whether a 9/10c lute would not be an
ineteresting possibility, for myself included (after all 10/11c lutes
are common, my future lute will be one of those).
I am already considering a future 10c lute, and I would probably
still go for a 10/11c, but this time with more accent on the 10c.

(about the top string arrangement on an 11c lute, presumably the top
two single strings developed from transforming 10c lutes to 11c, and
yet Frei and Maler lutes seem to have been transformed directly into
11c lutes.
with this top string set-up. Were there any 10c lutes with this set-
up transformed from 9c lutes? There was a brief discussion of this
issue when I sent the message about the Julian Bream lute to the list.
However, I don't quite remember the conclusions that were drawn.)

> It has been interesting thinking out loud on this list. Lots of good
> experience here to draw on. Much appreciated. I seem to be
> experiencing my
> own renaissance as a lute player. By the end of this year I'll have
> an 11c,
> a theorbo and a 7c (or 10c!). That should keep me busy enough!

In your place (but of course, I am not) I would go for the lute that
really pleased you in the first place, (the 10c from MP) and that, as
you say, opens up more transitional music.
You are engaged at present in the Baroque repertoire. Why not explore
in detail the shifts from transitional to Renaissance (i am thinking
you will be going in that direction) in a more systematic manner.
It seems that is more where your interest lies.  Are you sure you
need to explore the Italian repertoire in TO, right now?
If you want to carry on into earlier repertoire, then why not
eventually get a 7c lute. You can find these fairly cheap second
hand, if it is a secondary interest for you.
I may be wrong, but a degree of specialization could be a good thing
(not overextending one's repertoire).  OK I am trying to persuade
myself, but with some thoughts for you.

Notice that Jacob was able to accompany Emma on his Rauwolf in 10c
mode, in the Renaissance and transitional repertoire, although his
lute was 69 cm.
KIRKBY, Emma: Musique and Sweet Poetrie - Jewels from Europe around 1600
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=BIS-SACD-1505
Jakob played Dowland solos and Robert Johnson, as well as Kapsberger,
at a recent lute society meeting N=B082 p.7.
Ok now I'll leave off
Best regards
Anthony