On Apr 3, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Anthony Hind wrote:

Rob
        Sorry, I can't quite leave-off, you got me thinking too much. Of
course, like everyone else, I can't help thinking about what lute I
would like next, but also, how I wish I was a little more focussed
and less dilettante (imore in the French use of this word (i.e. going
where momentary pleasure takes me, rather than concentrating on one
period and a few pieces at a time) which makes me the complete
amateur that I am.

I can really sympathize with this. I've concentrated on one period and one instrument for years, and the danger in that is, for the average listener, a lot of the music sounds the same, and stylistically, it is. I've been working on Renaissance cittern lately to add more variety to my concerts, and keeping the two techniques up to standard is a lot of work.

I would have at least 6 different citterns if I could, but I seriously doubt whether I could keep the different techniques up to the necessary level. This is one of the reasons I play transcriptions - it's a compromise, but it seems to be a necessary one for the type of work I get, and to get more work - pleasing the general listener as well as the more educated one.

Doc