Jean-Marie and Ed,
No derogatory remarks have come from me on the 8c. Again, I would just like to say that if someone is hoping to play Francesco and Dowland on the same lute, then 7c is surely the better choice, with the 7c in D, that covers much 8c music with the possibility of stopping the bass course. There are less additional sympathetic resonances to colour the sound. It is also historically plausible, while an 8c for Francesco probably is not; but perhaps I am wrong there. It has been so frequently of late. On the other hand, if a lutist wants to cover from Dowland to transitional, the 10c is a better compromise (as shown by JaKob's Rauwolf). The 8c does not really allow that, does it?

I was taking account of what Rob said he was hoping to do.

Also I will admit that I have usually heard 8c lute with wirewounds, and the problem of sympathetic resonances are even worse. I think you and Ed have your lutes gut strung, so the problem would be much less.

I suppose for someone just specializing in later Elizabethan music and its close European equivalents, an 8c strung entirely in gut could be a good solution. This is what Jacob Heringman uses on his Jane Pickeringe's Lute book, on his 8 course Martin Haycock after Venere. see for example:
Track 04-Almaine by francis Cuttinge (1:35)
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/heringman-pickering/04.m3u

Now compare this with the 7c Gerle by the same maker, both are strung in gut, and with same lutist of course:
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/heringman-siena/07.m3u

Do you think the 8c sound would function well with the Fantasia? It is a question of taste, no doubt, but the maker himself, Martin Haycock (while preferring a 6c lute) advised the 7c for this multipurpose, and he also said that he was less happy with 8c lutes in general, exactly for the reason mentioned above.

Indeed he told me that the two ideal lutes he would like to own himself, would be the 11c and the 6c, both which he considered had acheived the ideal balance of poise and sound before having become over complexified. So no derogatory remarks implied, but some justification, only slightly musicological.
Best regards
Anthony
PS Ed my mails rebounce, so you will receive this through the list