To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:40 PM
Subject: [LUTE] help for 'improving' lute and vihuela players

  [I'm cross-posting this from the vihuela list as some lute students
  might find it useful. Remember, the vihuela was tuned the same way as a
  6c lute, so you could play this music on your lute.]

  I don't think we do enough, generally speaking, for the maybe not-so
  advanced (if I may say that) players among us. I have had quite a few
  questions over the years from beginners, post-beginners, and those who
  have hit the brick wall and can't move forward, and maybe we should do
  more to help. Well, with this in mind I've started a page on the
  [1]www.vihuela.eu site which sets out to do just that. I've started
  with a 'duo' (for one instrument) by Fuenllana/Josquin, as, like
  Bermudo, I believe the articulation of vocal lines is one of the most
  crucial yet difficult things to achieve well on the vihuela or lute.
  The page is very much just beginning, so please let me know what you
  would like to see there. I can't promise I'll be able to do all you
  ask...Unfortunately, the vihuela I used for the recording needs some
  attention, and does tend to buzz occasionally...but it's not a CD.

  Anyway, hot foot it to [2]http://www.vihuela.eu/study.htm I have the
  score in French tab, an mp3 performance, plus an mp3 of commentary as I
  explore the piece, discussing how I approach my interpretation.
  Doubtless, someone else would play it very differently, and you must
  find your own way eventually, but hopefully this will help.

  Rob MacKillop

  PS There are many good players on the lute list. Hopefully this will
  move them to improve on what I have done here. We should be helping
  younger and less-advanced players as much as we can.