I guess I would consider myself more of an early intermediate player
   now, but I remember clearly the time of being a beginner - one living
   far away from a teacher or anybody else who played lute really.  These
   are the things that I wanted, or that I think would have helped me
   more.
   Good music!  There is more beginner stuff around now than there was
   then largely because of the publications of the Lute Society.  But even
   some of that is uninteresting fluff of what seems to me rather low
   quality musically.  Just because it was in some historical beginner's
   book/manuscript doesn't mean its either really suitable for a beginner
   or very good music.  As something of a composer, I supplied my lack by
   writing my own little pieces, often based on historical models, at the
   level I could play.  But not everybody can do that.
   A good method book.  The Damiani book is pretty good, but wasn't out
   when I was at that point.  But still, the average person needs more
   pieces that illustrate whatever the point is than are usually contained
   in the book.
   Somebody knowledgeable to watch.  Here is where video clips can now be
   a real help.  I'd read about thumb under, but it was really when I went
   to my first seminar that I actually understood what was being said by
   watching people doing it.  So I think short, well-focused videos on
   particular technical points would be helpful.  Teaching material on
   musical interpretation is also a possibility, but much harder to work
   logistically and get something from for the student.
   Summer seminars.  I just want to add this to my list because I think
   its really, really helpful for beginners to connect up with other
   people, hear music played live, maybe have an opportunity to take a
   beginners' class, and that sort of thing.  The LSA seminars here in the
   States are very good, and highly recommended for beginners.  But in the
   meantime, working with the above things would still be helpful.
   Suzanne