From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Stephen Arndt
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:18 PM
To: lute-cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: help for 'improving' lute and vihuela players

Dear Rob,

As one definitely in the not-so-advanced (yes, you may say that) category, I
greatly appreciate your efforts. It was very interesting and instructive to
get a glimpse of the kind of things you keep in mind when approaching a
piece, and I for one would welcome any and all forms of help from the
professionals among us. Never having had a teacher or a single lute lesson,
I have to struggle along the best I can, and I am afraid that the old
adage--"Whoever has himself for a teacher has a fool for a student"--is in
my case all too true. The worst part is the not-so-blissful ignorance of not
even knowing what I don't know or am doing wrong. I have no idea what a
teacher would teach me were I to study at a conservatory, since I have never
had such an experience, but I dream that someday someone will publish a lute
method with systematic, step-by-step video instructions to supplement as far
as possible the absence of a live teacher. In the meantime, instructional
videos, such as the one you made on baroque guitar strumming, are immensely
helpful, and a series that would cover all the basics (tone production,
articulation, phrasing, fingerings, etc.) would be an invaluable resource.
Thank you for your kindness and generosity in taking the time to make a
start on this initiative.

A not-so-sly lurker,

Stephen Arndt