     From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: 4 course guitar in Italy
     To: "Alexander Batov" <alexander.ba...@vihuelademano.com>
     Cc: pie...@vantichelen.name, "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Tuesday, 29 January, 2013, 9:48

      Dear Alexander,
      Many thanks for these pretty convincing examples of 4 course Italian
      guitars in figure8 shape from later 16th/early 17th century.
      regards
      Martyn
      --- On Mon, 28/1/13, Alexander Batov
        From: Alexander Batov <[2]alexander.ba...@vihuelademano.com>
        To: "Martyn Hodgson" <[3]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
        Cc: [4]pie...@vantichelen.name, "Lutelist"
   <[5]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
        Date: Monday, 28 January, 2013, 15:42
      Martyn, Peter et all,
      First of all, this particular painting by Tibaldi (although with a
      different attribution, to A.Grammatica) was already illustrated in
      Meucci's article (published in 2000), so not much new here I'm
   afraid.
      The only evidence that I'm aware of for the existence of
      figure-of-eight shaped 4-course guitar in the 16th century Italy is
      found on a pilaster of the Duomo of Cremona (c.1560):
      [1][6]http://www.vihuelademano.com/vg-crossroads/LStalk/pilaster.jpg
      And in the context:
      [2][7]http://www.vihuelademano.com/rcmdias.htm#p5
      What is particularly remarkable about this fragment is that the
      instrument appears to be 'wrapped' in a book (presumably of music
   ...?)
      which, in a way, gives an idea of its size: unless, of course, the
      intentions of the artist or sculptor were purely symbolical.
      Generally I agree with most of the points in Meucci's article but
   the
      question still remains whether the name chitarra a sette corde /
      chitarra a nove corde (or chitara da sette corde, i.e. as in
   Barberiis'
      book) is of a lute or figure-of-eight shape. Meucci's logic here is
      based entirely on a presumption (unless I missed something ...) that
      the figure-of-eight shape would have to be categorised as 'Spanish'
   and
      if there is no such attribute than it is in the lute shape.
      Unfortunately, a sole reliance on language definitions is never
   going
      to be accurate and so we may never get to the bottom of it, until
   some
      new, more definitive evidence, comes to light; it may indeed will
      Alexander
      On 28/01/2013 10:27, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
      >     Thank you Peter,
      >
      >     Have you a precise date for this painting? You suggest later
   half
      of
      >     the 16th century (and I note Tibaldi died in 1596) so it might
      not
      >     actually predate the the mandore boom years.
      >
      >     As you also remark:  'Of course, nothing proves that the
      instrument
      >     depicted is a "chitarrino" but at least it proves some
   lute-like
      >     instrument of soprano range at that time and place.' ; and I
      wholly
      >     agree with you - nevertheless all these things add grist to
   the
      mill
      >     and I look forward to any other further discoveries.
      >
      >     What would be ideal would be an Italian representation similar
      the

      [3][8]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html