On 29/01/2013 14:39, Monica Hall wrote:

> How do you know that this instrument is a 4-course guitar.  There is no way
> of telling as far as I can see that is intended to be plucked rather than
> played with a bow.

We know for three reasons:

1.  The instrument has a flat fingerboard and a (barely discernible) flat
bridge.  A bowed instrument requires an arched fingerboard and bridge,
otherwise the bow has to touch all the strings at once.

2.  The waist does of the instrument does not cut into the body nearly enough
to allow the bow to play only the highest or lowest strings.

3.  The book would get in the way of the bow.