How do you know that this instrument is a 4-course guitar. There is no way of telling as far as I can see that is intended to be plucked rather than played with a bow.

As ever
Monica

The only evidence that I'm aware of for the existence of figure-of-eight shaped 4-course guitar in the 16th century Italy is found on a pilaster of the Duomo of Cremona (c.1560):

http://www.vihuelademano.com/vg-crossroads/LStalk/pilaster.jpg

And in the context:

http://www.vihuelademano.com/rcmdias.htm#p5

What is particularly remarkable about this fragment is that the instrument appears to be 'wrapped' in a book (presumably of music ...?) which, in a way, gives an idea of its size: unless, of course, the intentions of the artist or sculptor were purely symbolical.

Generally I agree with most of the points in Meucci's article but the question still remains whether the name chitarra a sette corde / chitarra a nove corde (or chitara da sette corde, i.e. as in Barberiis' book) is of a lute or figure-of-eight shape. Meucci's logic here is based entirely on a presumption (unless I missed something ...) that the figure-of-eight shape would have to be categorised as 'Spanish' and if there is no such attribute than it is in the lute shape. Unfortunately, a sole reliance on language definitions is never going to be accurate and so we may never get to the bottom of it, until some new, more definitive evidence, comes to light; it may indeed will ...

Alexander