Hello Martyn,

I understand perfectly well that the Tenier's picture has nothing to do with the 'Italian representation', and I'd never meant to represent it that way. That particular set of the pictures, as well as the other one further down the page ('anjo com viola' from Abrantes, Portugal), are only (mostly!) there just to illustrate how widespread such organological feature as asymmetrical arrangement of pegs was from country to country. So, in a way, it serves the opposite purpose to what you tried to extract from it! Perhaps you've got confused by my wording "in the context" next to the second link that I gave, which was supposed to mean "in the context of the article" describing that particular feature, not in the topic of our discussion, sorry about that.

Alexander