When the famous musicologist Donald Jay Grout came to my college, he responded
to an homologous question (should Bach be played on a piano, perhaps ???), “If
it is worth doing, it is worth doing badly”. Ray Nurse said we haven’t had an
early music revival, we’ve had an early instrument revival.
I agree that putting the song across is paramount. I don’t think early
pronunciation is a barrier to that though, especially here in Japan where
nobody has a clue about the lyric anyway. Even in English pop, I rarely can
understand many of the words just by listening. As a songwriter, I feel that
the actual sound of the syllables is very important and rhyme is very important
in most songs. I find eye rhyme hard to swallow as a performance practice. My
own approach is to compromise (because of my limited linguistic knowledge) and
at least bend some of the important words to rhyme. I often compromise in many
ways in performance. We are in the entertainment business, after all, even if
it is entertaining ourselves.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch