Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Funny to discover that the same discussion is coming back every couple
> of years :-)

I am not surprised at all, maintaining two build systems with such a small
amount of developers is simply stupid.

> I think the only point to discuss is the GLOB functionality. AFAIR Georg
> and you are against it and I can understand why. The advantage of GLOB
> are: 1) You do not have to maintain the list of files
> 2) You can move and rename the files from one folder to the other very
> easily.

GLOB is independent from cmake, you could set up autotools in a similar way.
It is simply a conincidence that those who like cmake also like GLOB.

> The main disadvantage of GLOB is that it can mess up your build if you
> let in the source tree some files that was renamed for debugging or
> development purpose. Personally I never do that because git branching
> and stashing are so good that it is much simpler to use git instead of
> manual renaming; but I can fully understand that you are not comfortable
> with that.

For renaming files or adding new files I would prefer to handle that
completely in git as well. However, it does not work. If I add a new file
and then stash the changed away, git adds the new file to the stash, but
does not delete the one in the local working tree, so when I pop from the
stash again I get a conflict. Therefore, I do not add new files to the
stash, and then I can easily move around.

> 1) Switch to CMake now
> 2) Take advantage of GLOB to do the much needed file hierarchy cleanups
> now (both folder hierarchy and file/class names)
> 3) Switch file listing mode without GLOB.

Switching to cmake first and some time later from GLOB to explicit file
listing would create a huge amount of work, since you would need to recreate
all file lists from scratch. IMHO it would be much better to write a small
script that extracts the file lists from autotools and creates the proper
cmake files from that. Then some reorganization work can be done
independently of the switch (and if you move files around with git it is not
much more effort to adjust the file lists as well).

Georg