On 2017-06-09, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 07:41:21AM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> I don't have a preference regarding the two alternative patches for stable.

> And what is the status of this discussion for 2.3.0? Did we come to an
> agreement on what should be done?

Unfortunately, there is no agreement.

I prefer the "allowbreak" special character after "former ligature dashes"
(\twohyphen, \threehyphen), ideally

* for \threehyphen (em-dash) only if no space follows,

* for \twohyphen (en-dash) only if no space or digit follows
  (to prevent unwanted line-breaks in ranges like "12--99").

I could provide a patch for the "specialchar inset", but would need help
with the test for the next character.

Günter