On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 09:30:03PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2017-06-09, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>
> > [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]
>
> > On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 07:41:21AM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
>
> >> I don't have a preference regarding the two alternative patches for stable.
>
> > And what is the status of this discussion for 2.3.0? Did we come to an
> > agreement on what should be done?
>
> Unfortunately, there is no agreement.

OK. So we are stuck. I want to come to a decision before beta1. I'm not
sure what to suggest. I get the feeling that we've had enough discussion
and further discussion will not lead to a unanimous agreement. In this
case, I suppose we need to take a vote. Can I get a +1 from someone else
that thinks a vote would be a good idea in this situation?

(if indeed I get a +1 on the above) to proceed with a vote, anyone who
would like to make a proposal would need to write a self-contained
description of the problem and their proposed solution. A critique of
other available solutions is encouraged as well, so that we get a
feeling of the advantages/disadvantages of each proposed solution. I
emphasize self-contained because the discussion has been spread out and
we want people to participate in the vote who have not followed the
discussion so far. In addition to the essence of the proposal being
self-contained, you are welcome to make references to previous
discussion if you want to give the reader the option of reading a
particular issue more in detail. But don't waste time on this until we
get a +1 to proceed with a vote.

Scott