On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 12:03:50AM +0200, Christian Ridderström wrote:

> - We can compare the built executable before and after running clang-format,
>   the executables should be identical.

I don't know why I had never considered that approach before (although
it is obvious now), and I like this idea.

> > Even if no functionality is changed in
> > theory, we could somehow expose a compiler bug (this is true even if
> > just changing whitespace).
> >

> I'd expect this to in practice be covered by binary comparison of the
> executable.

+1

> In theory we could of course still be hit by a compiler bug on a platform
> where we don't compare the executable.
>
> Also, anyone doing the same whitespace change manually would trigger such a
> bug...  in theory the removal of trailing whitespace from lines could
> trigger it.

+1

> What do others think?

^ If you get support from other LyX devs, and you are willing to take
care of everything, then I'm find with it. My only other criterion is
that I don't want to personally spend any time on this. We have other
issues and debates going on where I want to spend my time. So the hard
part is convincing other LyX devs.

Scott