On 07/19/2017 01:48 AM, Christian Ridderström wrote:

> On 18 July 2017 at 23:49, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org
> <mailto:lasgout...@lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>     Le 18/07/2017 à 23:42, Christian Ridderström a écrit :
>
>         I think the default should be secure, and that the user should
>         have to do something actively to go into a dangerous mode.
>

>     Well, since you consider that turning off two options is not
>     active enough, I am not sure what to propose :)
>

> The problem I see with only unchecking two check boxes are e.g.:
> - Users uncheck settings all the time, it doesn't seem very "scary"
> - In the settings dialog, the real implications of unchecking these
> options
>   did not seem sufficiently clear to me.
>   So calling it "Allow yourself to be shot in the foot by converters"
> would help;-)
> - The setting is persistent, and easily forgotten

This, I believe, was part of what was addressed by Enrico's patch. Or
the idea behind it.

It would at least be possible to have a 'hidden' setting here: One you
could activate only by
editing the preferences file. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. This
is definitely a feature
for power users. Of course, that would make it even more difficult to undo.

> If it has to be done from within LyX, then perhaps do some of the
> things below to make being in unsafe mode more difficult to forget:
> - When unchecking the boxes, display a dialog informing them that
> they're going into dangerous territory.
> - Show the warning each time LyX is started, forcing the user to
> acknowledge it.
>   And make it so that user with a single click can reenable needauth.
> - Possibly show the dialog each time before building a document

One or the other here is enough, I'd think. But this is otherwise
similar to a suggestion
I made elsewhere.

> - Enable a strong/annoying visual indication/reminder that you're
> unsafe mode

Also part of Enrico's patch idea, I believe.

The overall idea behind that patch was to make this setting per-document
and easy to
change, with a strong visual indication. Making it non-persistent, or at
least something
you have to acknowledge each session, would add security. Here again, if
that seems too
annoying, a power-user-only non-gui setting could be considered. Then
it's possible for
people to sidestep the security, but only by really getting their hands
dirty.

Richard