> back to the UserGuide, perhaps what we could actually do is, to simplify
the UserGuide so that it can compile without the need for installing additional
packages besides a minimal latex installation

The point is that almost nothing works out of the box. Not simple documents,
not the tutorial. Because only texlive-bin package is installed together with
LyX. I will report to the packagers that they should add more texlive packages
to the install dependencies.

> I would recommend an established distribution, such as openSuse.

I haven't heard of this distro yet. I see now that Manjaro is on place 3 on
Distrowatch while openSUSE is on place 6:
http://distrowatch.com
I googled around before I started and openSUSE was not recommended for
beginners in any article I read. The top proposals for beginners in most
articles were Mint, Ubuntu and Manjaro.

> that's why I always install "vanilla" TeXLive instead of the distribution's).
https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

Many thanks, I will try this out.

> Manjaro seems to ship its own (command line) package manager ("TeXLive
Local Manager): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live

I found it by googling and it seems to be installed but I cannot find it. But
as you know I cannot use command lines because I don't know the commands and
forget them all the time if I don't use them frequently. That was the reason
why I came to LyX - because I forgot all the time the different LaTeX commands.

> The packagers of a distribution decide which dependencies a package has.
> Nothing _we_ can do here.

Hmm, that is very bad. I think that explains why software companies don't offer
Linux versions. (I saw yesterday that there are no longer Skype, Adobe Reader
and other useful programs on Linux.) Giving support for all the different
dozens of distributions would be a nightmare if every distribution decides on
its own what to install with a program and what not.

regards Uwe