Am Sonntag, 9. Januar 2005 16:26 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:

> The layout and example files needn't to be changed when beamer comes up
> with a new version. I tested the actual files hardly and improved them
> together with the beamer author, so that they are stable since beamer 2
> (the actual one is beamer 3.1).

The fact that it was like that in the past does not mean that it will not
be necessary in the future, but form what you say I guess it is at least
unlikely.

> > 2. More effort for .rpm and .deb creators. At least debian has a
> > latex-beamer package that contains the latex and lyx files. If lyx
would
> > also contain the files, there would be a conflict, so they must be
> > excluded from the .deb package.
>
> Why that? All we have to do, is to copy the files to the folders
> lyx/share/lyx/layouts etc. So why do files in different folders cause
> trouble?

Because they are not in different folders. The debian package latex-beamer
(in .deb format) installs them (ready for use) under /usr/share/lyx. I
don't know if there exist .rpm packages for latex-beamer, but if they do,
and if they are packaged carefully, they'll do the same. So all a user
has to do is to install both latex-beamer and lyx, and he has everything
he needs. If the lyx package would contain the beamer files, latex-beamer
and lyx would not be installable at the same time. Therefore the
packagers would need to tweak the lyx install process to exclude the
beamer files.

Of course the situation changes if lyx was the primary source for the
files and they were not contained in latex-beamer anymore.

> manually. So I thaught we can do this for the user by deliver the files
> with the Lyx package.

I understood that. In fact, I don't really care very much, but I only
wanted to make clear that this would also create more work at other
places.

Georg