Hi Michael,

On 2017-01-24 14:27, Michael Berger wrote:
Dear all,

if you should plan to purchase software from Hamrick Software USA
(www.hamrick.com), please, be warned not to be trapped by this Company's
fraudulent statements and business practices.

My story.

When looking for software to be used with HP Scanjet G4050 (not fully
supported by XSANE) I came across the 'VueScan' software from Hamrick.

The documentation and technical specification guaranteed exactly was
I was looking for: a software using TMAs (Transparent Media Adapters)
for scanning of color slides, color negatives etc. under Linux with my
scanner. See screenshot attached.

Fully convinced by what was stated I purchased the license to use
'VueScan Professional'' and made a credit card payment for US$ 89.95.

However, I could use VueScan for ordinary flat bed scanning only,
*nothing* else.

Upon my complaint Ed Hamrick wrote: 'Unfortunately, VueScan only works
with the transparency adapter on this scanner on Windows and Mac OS X
(but not Linux)'.

No sorry, no regrets, no money return, no compensation !

When I asked him if that was all he could say, I got the following
answer: '...please, make a bunch of postings mentioning VueScan. All
publicity is good publicity' Regards, Ed Hamrick

I all my life I have never seen such insensitivity and coolness
before.  What a highly educated and shifty business attitude!

Cheers,
Michael

I have used Vuescan, professional edition, for years and have never had any issues with the software, maker, nor with getting help with different scanners and getting help with issues.

It is unfortunate that your scanner does not work as you wish, however, the usual advice on the Hamrick site is to test your scanner first with the free version to make sure it works as you wish before buying any version of Vuescan. Perhaps this is the step you should have taken before purchasing the software?

From my experience with the developer and software, I fully endorse the software and maker, and, I believe that Vuescan sets the gold standard for scanner software. This is the only piece of commercial software that I have ever used on Mageia (or any Linux system) and still use it daily, 100% satisfied and suggest to anyone needing professional level scanning software to test-try Vuescan and see why it sets the standard.

The Vuescan software dev updates the software almost monthly with new supported scanners and fixes to customer bug submissions. Vuescan also supports hundreds of scanner makes and models on Linux many of which do not work with XSane.

Note that I am in no way related nor connected to Hamrick nor Vuescan.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré