>> The purpose of the two labels in HildonButton, is to have different
>> semantics for the labels.
>> The first one is "title", the second one is "value" (HildonPickerButton) or
>> "description" (Hildonbutton)
>
> that's fine with me. The first row is "Name of Plugin" the second is
> "Description of plugin". Now it should be possible to enable and disable
> those plugins.
>
>> The checkbutton doesn't really fit so well with this kind of semantics. So
>> you're not really supposed to have two labels there.
>> So I guess you have something weird in your UI design.
>
>Why does a checkbox does not fit to the title/description semantics? You
>can have a something named with "title" with an additional "description"
>and this thing you want to turn on/off. That's what checkboxes are used
>for, no?

With Maemo 5, there's now very optimized, small set of widgets, which support
only certain types of behaviour.

Of course, many of those widgets are customizable, but the idea is that those
that try to avoid customization will
get UI which is very "familiar" to Maemo 5 users. Because that way the UI is
very consistent in all apps.

>Anyways, here is my weird UI :)[1]. It's a list of plugins. For each
>plugin you can open a config dialog and an about box. The list might get
>long, so it's pannable with the rest of the settings.
>
>Suggestions on how to solve this without writing my own button
>implementation are welcome.
>But suggestions on how to add a checkbox to a HildonButton or how to add
>a second label to a HildonCheckButton are even better - because I like
>how it looks :)
>
> [1] http://zwong.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/settings_plugins.png

Thanks a lot for the screenshot, it helped to understand the situation much
more than the words alone.

To me it seems you are trying to cram a bit too much functionality into a
single dialog.
It's of course feasible, as you show, but it's a bit too "Maemo 4" to my taste.

What you could do instead is to replace the checkbuttons with a GtkTreeview
(inside pannable), i.e. a list:
* you can keep the "checkbox graphics"  within the list, but that will require
custom cellrenderer
* remove the "info" and "settings" buttons for each plugin for this dialog
* pressing the list item on top of checkbox, would obviously turn it on/off
* pressing the list item elsewhere would open a sub-dialog, which would contain
the info/settings stuff for the plugin. Could be pannable if needed.
* list supports the two-row text approach, if you want to use that, via custom
cellrenderer

This way, the dialog becomes a bit more "calm", only the most important stuff
to look at.

BR,

      Mox