On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 21:39 +0200, ext-mox.so...@nokia.com wrote:
> To me it seems you are trying to cram a bit too much functionality into a
> single dialog.
> It's of course feasible, as you show, but it's a bit too "Maemo 4" to my
> taste.

Just for completeness, here is a screenshot of the (unfinished) Diablo
version:
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3925&stc=1&d=1250602896

> What you could do instead is to replace the checkbuttons with a GtkTreeview
> (inside pannable), i.e. a list:
> * you can keep the "checkbox graphics"  within the list, but that will
> require custom cellrenderer
> * remove the "info" and "settings" buttons for each plugin for this dialog
> * pressing the list item on top of checkbox, would obviously turn it on/off
> * pressing the list item elsewhere would open a sub-dialog, which would
> contain the info/settings stuff for the plugin. Could be pannable if needed.
> * list supports the two-row text approach, if you want to use that, via
> custom cellrenderer

There are two things that I don't really like about this:
1) Putting the settings and about buttons on level deeper will add one
more level of dialogs and I don't like dialogs that open dialogs. I
think it's cluttered. I'm already unhappy to have two levels of dialogs.

2) Tapping on the check box of the row will perform a different action
than tapping on the text of the row. I think this is confusing to the
user as the text is basically the caption of the check box. Therefore
text/caption and check box really belong together.

But of course I could recreate the same layout as I have now, but
instead of buttons using a TreeView. It probably will work, but don't
think it will look as clean as the buttons. I might give it a try,
though. How is the cell renderer called that is used for the two-row
text?

Sorry, that I can't completely agree with your idea, but thank you for
taking the time :) Hopefully we'll find something that looks nice and is
functional.

Cheers!
Conny