#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This article struck me as a mix of meaningful criticisms and pure smear
tactics. This paragraph in particular is telling:

>Living in a special, completely parallel universe are leftists from the
United States, who prefer to fight the evil empire directly from within.
In their view, the war in the Donbass started at the instigation of the
United States and, obviously, because of oil.  After all, every global
conflict is waged by the United States and always because of oil.  And yes,
the “Odessa carnage” was also planned by the United States, in case you had
any doubts on that score.

The United States and its leftists are not in a "parellel universe". What
happens in Europe -- and the way Americans react to it -- is every bit a
part of American political culture as it is in Europe. That is the nature
of America as an imperial power, let alone one which inherited much of
Europe's history. There is no reason to suggest, in my view, that American
leftists who romanticize or downplay Russian abuses are any different from,
say, French leftists who do the same.

Moreover, there is no attempt to actually address the Odessa Fire, the
article just writes off anyone who thought it was horrific as some kind of
Stalinist puppet.

The "left-right collaboration" rhetoric also doesn't strike me as very
convincing. That can be said for just about every dissident cause, from
opposing the Iraq invasion to condemning finance capitalism.

Also wasn't a fan of this line:

Leftists mistrust mainstream outlets because the latter, according to their
worldview, are controlled by oligarchs or their puppets.  Far-rightists do
so because, in their version of reality, the media are controlled by
Zionist, cultural-Marxist, and homosexual lobbies.

This is a false dichotomy, especially due to the author's uncritical use of
the term "Zionist". There are plenty of "leftists" who correctly condemn
the extent to which Zionism control/influence media, there is no reason
that that should be seen as dichotomous from believing that "oligarchs or
their puppets" control the media. Writing off Zionist control of the media
as a right-wing conspiracy theory on par with "the homosexual agenda" is
subtle apologism for Zionism.

Much of the article is simply beyond analysis because it is just
unsubstantiated attack after the next. "Anarchists," "American leftists,"
"Maoists," xyz group of people one after the next are accused of some
political crime or the other without any real attempt to cite instances,
groups, etc. The article attempts to paint the left in the US or in Europe
(ignoring the rest of the world) as though there is any sort of consistency
among "leftists". Pretty sure there isn't any.

- Amith

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <