#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Michael Karadjis says:

"Of course there was no use of "chlorine or cluster bombs" by any rebels
in this report (and the entirely false accusation in a previous Amnesty
report that chlorine was sued against Sheikh Maqsud was based on one
photo with some yellow dye smudged on it), whereas they are used on a
massive scale by the regime, alongside napalm, white phosphorus, vacuum
bombs, barrel bobs, bunker busters,  ballistic missiles etc, yet Nick
seeks to lump the rebels together with this regime."

Actually, the evidence for the use of chlorine weapons by the rebels was not
just "one photo with some yellow dye".  Amnesty said:

"There are also allegations that members of armed groups attacking Sheikh
Maqsoud may have used chemical weapons. A local doctor told Amnesty
International that on 7 and 8 April he treated six civilians and two YPG
fighters for symptoms including shortness of breath, numbness, red eyes and
severe coughing fits. Several of the victims, he said, reported seeing yellow
smoke as missiles impacted. A toxicologist consulted by Amnesty International,
who viewed video-clips of the apparent attack and reviewed the doctor’s
testimony, said the patients’ symptoms could be the effects of a chlorine
attack. A subsequent statement purportedly issued by the leader of the Army of
Islam armed group said that a field commander had deployed an “unauthorised
weapon” on Sheikh Maqsoud and that he would be held to account".
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/05/syria-armed-opposition-groups-committing-war-crimes-in-aleppo-city/

I agree with Michael that the Assad regime has killed more people than the
rebels.  A major reason for this is that the regime has a lot of high-tech
weapons that the rebels don't have.  If they had similar weapons they might be
doing similar things.
(The fact that one Army of Islam commander experimented with chlorine -
allegedly without authorisation, which I am skeptical of - suggests this is the
case).

But our attitude to the contending forces is not solely a matter of counting
the number of war crimes committed by each of them.  We also have to look at
their politics.

A fundamental flaw of a large part of the rebel movement is religious
sectarianism.  Paragraph 70 of the UN report gives an example:
"On 27 July, a group of female detainees suffering from illnesses were released
from al-Tawba prison in Douma. They had been detained since 11 December 2013,
when members of armed groups including Jaysh al-Islam, Ahrar al-Sham and the
terrorist group Jabhat Fatah al-Sham (then Jabhat al-Nusra) invaded the town of
Adra Oumaliyah in Damascus countryside and took Alawite men, women and children
hostage. While imprisoned, armed group elements separated men from women, and
all detainees were periodically visited by a sheikh who encouraged them to
convert to the Sunni Islam denomination. One female hostage recalled how “the
sheikh used to curse Alawites and ask God to exterminate the group and their
children.” In the summer of 2014, an additional group of female hostages were
brought to the prison, increasing the number of female detainees to 43, along
with nine children under the age of 13 years who accompanied their mothers. All
female hostages were members of minority religious groups, including Alawite,
Ismaili, Druze, and Christian. It is estimated that dozens of additional men,
women and children remain under the custody of armed groups in eastern Ghouta.
The Commission has previously identified sectarian motivations underpinning
violations carried out by Jaysh al-Islam."

Religious sectarianism is reactionary.  The protestors of 2011 wanted to unite
people of all religions against the Assad dictatorship.  Reactionary rebel
groups want to divide people on a religious basis.

If such groups were victorious they would impose a regime equally as oppressive
as Assad's, but with a  religious ideology instead of a nominally secular one.

Such sectarian practices contrast with the emphasis by the PYD and its allies
on involving people of all religions in the democratic institutions of northern
Syria (not to mention the differences over women's rights etc).

The PYD argues that it is continuing the spirit of the 2011 protests.  It is
often criticised for being a third force, separate from both the Assad regime
and the rebels.  But given that some of the main rebel groups have goals
diametrically opposed to those of the PYD, this is quite reasonable.

Chris Slee