belinda thom wrote:

[...]
> Here's more info (redundant?) regarding what I've tried, in case it
> clarifies. (Ultimately, I will obviously need to upgrade to 0.9, at
> which point I can report back on if this fixed the problem on my
> machine, but I can't do that until after the semester is over, mid May).
> I'm running MacPython 2.4.4. I've got matplotlib 0.87.7 w/TkAgg. I'm
> using IPython 0.7.4.svn.r2010, called with the -pylab flag. I'm running
> the tests reported here on a G5 (I've also seen them on a G4), using OS
> X 10.4.8.

Belinda,

I was not paying close enough attention and did not realize that you are
all the way back at 0.87.7.  I think that trying to do any kind of
piecemeal updating of that to get 3d working decently is an exercise in
futility; a lot of things have changed since then, some problems in 3d
have been fixed but it still can't be considered operational, and Tim's
recent work has been post-0.90, so upgrading to that is still not likely
to be very satisfactory.  A new release is planned soon--maybe next
week?--and that would certainly get you closer.  But overall, I think
that trying to use mpl 3d functionality for a class this term is not a
good idea.  There is a lot you can do in 2d with 0.87.7; I think you
would really be best advised to find a way to make that adequate for the
purposes of your class this term.

The easiest way to see some of the things that have changed is to go to
http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/
and browse the archive, especially lib/matplotlib, where the pure python
parts are.  0.87.7 was released at revision 2835.  You can also get an
overview from CHANGELOG and API_CHANGES.

Eric