Hello,

I think one of the things with the MeeGo was that it was a downgrade in
development environment, CI systems and everything from our
Maemo. All that has been made for debian based distro and the change to the
rpm does not make slightest sense. The debian based distro and everything
that surrounds it has much longer history on this context and it is that
simple. I joined the team that became later Maemo already in 2004. Back then
scratchbox was new invention, but still today it has no replacement which
would be better or equal. Before scratchbox we were compiling with ext hard
drive connected to Nokia 770 proto (and ran the gcc on the arm). After
scratchbox came, there was a great convenience improvement. Killing
scratchbox without a replacement (OBS is not a replacement!) is not very
good choice.

This is just my 0.02 cents. I would think it should be done like this:

- Take the debian based distro and development environment (that works) as a
basis. It works. Look at Harmattan and all previous Nokia Maemo devices. And
there is scratchbox, which is open source, and even if it would not be
perfect, it works and is great for developing and cross compiling anything
on your machine, not needing some OBS build service to build your package
when you can compile on your computer. So forget RPM, is number 1 key to the
success. And even if the intended hardware would be something else than ARM,
it does not matter. This is my recommendation. Do whatever you want, but I
think this would be the right thing to do at this point.

- Number 2 key to the success is a blazingly superb UI. And this is not even
very hard one but takes some work. Community MeeGo has not had a meaningful
UI, has always had poor graphics (or missing graphics on Nokia's code drops,
e.g. seeing our duicontrolpanel on MeeGo-MeeGo installation instead of
Harmattan is a whole different experience than seeing it on Harmattan
device), poor or missing icons and does not really shine in any way when
compared to iOS, Android or Harmattan. But good news, there is a easy
technology to make a superb UI framework rapidly, QML. It needs some work,
needs to be consistent UI concept, excellent graphics (which have a meaning,
if you look closely icons on Harmattan and the colors of applications, they
are different from app to app because the apps are "color coded" - this kind
of attention does matter). But QML is really awesome for creating things
fast and the QML based swipe tutorial on Harmattan (when you boot your N9
first time) shows that it can be done with QML (as the swipe tutorial
simulates the Harmattan UI framework). I think QML is a key to developing
any UI concept fast whatever the Mer wants to be.

- Number 3: Thou shalt not restrict it to one single technology. I think
restricting to HTML5 only or QML only would be a bad idea. Instead a support
of choices which work for different purposes is a key to success. Things
which do not need to be replaced should not be replaced, they can be
substituted, but not replaced.

- Many of the lower layers have been already open sourced by companies and
it is just about utilizing them and doing the top of the cake right. There
are some missing pieces, but filling the gaps should not be impossible. It
is some work to do, but it may not be overwhelmingly big work.

With some gaps filled on UI, and then lower layers, this distro could be
easily superior to e.g. Android. It is another question if someone wants to
use it, but at least would be a fun thing.

Best Regards,
Karoliina