I just think it would have been better if we (The Nokia linux
organization and the fans) did not have to go through the MeeGo
hurdle, and as you say in detail, look at harmattan and how slick and
beautiful is as a product. (I use it in N950 as my everyday phone and
no *other* OS/ device even comes close to the experience I get.

However, I understand from Carsten that all of our code is already in
RPM and hence this is why Mer is going to use it, I am wondering what
would it take to just use Harmattan as the basis for Mer now and keep
the tradition and the rocking dev tools (Scratchbox is indeed, a cross
compilation environment OOTB that as an embedded OS maker, I've yet
come to see in its simplicity and support to the developer from any
other platform / distro and/or vendor).

If you ask me, Harmattan is the way to go , asking to yet open closed
parts or replace them with open parts , put a UX on top following the
Swipe style if we have a UX team (because Mer is supposed to be a thin
base layer nothing more). And just do it. Then Nokia (In my deepest
hopes) could re-use it when perhaps Linux will find its way back there
as a smartphone platform.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, karoliina.t.salmi...@gmail.com
<karoliina.t.salmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> would be better or equal. Before scratchbox we were compiling with ext hard
> drive connected to Nokia 770 proto (and ran the gcc on the arm). After
> scratchbox came, there was a great convenience improvement. Killing
> scratchbox without a replacement (OBS is not a replacement!) is not very
> good choice.

+1 .

> on your machine, not needing some OBS build service to build your package
> when you can compile on your computer. So forget RPM, is number 1 key to the
> success. And even if the intended hardware would be something else than ARM,
> it does not matter. This is my recommendation. Do whatever you want, but I
> think this would be the right thing to do at this point.

+1

> - Number 2 key to the success is a blazingly superb UI. And this is not even
> very hard one but takes some work. Community MeeGo has not had a meaningful
> UI, has always had poor graphics (or missing graphics on Nokia's code drops,
> are different from app to app because the apps are "color coded" - this kind
> of attention does matter). But QML is really awesome for creating things
> fast and the QML based swipe tutorial on Harmattan (when you boot your N9
> first time) shows that it can be done with QML (as the swipe tutorial
> simulates the Harmattan UI framework). I think QML is a key to developing
> any UI concept fast whatever the Mer wants to be.

++1

> - Number 3: Thou shalt not restrict it to one single technology. I think
> restricting to HTML5 only or QML only would be a bad idea. Instead a support
> of choices which work for different purposes is a key to success. Things
> which do not need to be replaced should not be replaced, they can be
> substituted, but not replaced.

+++1 .

Problem is that how do you make all of the technologies appear
integrative to the platform, as Rich Green once noted about apps and
WP7 that an app there does not feel different to the core OS UX. I
could argue that we should support GTK , Vala, Mono stuff and the list
goes on...but how to make it look organic?

> - Many of the lower layers have been already open sourced by companies and
> it is just about utilizing them and doing the top of the cake right. There
> are some missing pieces, but filling the gaps should not be impossible. It
> is some work to do, but it may not be overwhelmingly big work.

I have no idea about this - can anybody really estimate the amount of
work needed?

-Sivan